Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofit for older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not many cars get better at 60,000 miles and almost 5 years old. Ours did. The original TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) for the Model S like most other required manually reading the TPMS sensor on each wheel and then plugging the reader into a port on the car. For some reason instead of using a standard OBDII port like every other vehicle to report the readings via CANBUSS Tesla has its own proprietary port. My guess it has to do with security to prevent the potential for hacking due to limitations of OBDII and CANBUSS protocols. The result is that for these early Model S every time we seasonally swapped wheels and tires we had to go to the Tesla Service Center on a 250 mile round trip for a free 1 minute visit so they could read and update our TPMS so it would recognize the newly mounted set.

Tesla started using a different system by mid-2014 which was manufactured by a different company and can be updated from the center screen with the push of a virtual button and taking the car for a drive. The early system was not too much of a problem most owners and in part due to low numbers of vehicles being produced until about mid-2014 when production really started to ramp up (and has continued to accelerate ever since). The early system also only gave rudimentary warnings like "low tire pressure pull over now". The newer system actually displays the tire pressure for each tire .

When we got our CPO 2012 P85 Signature Edition Model S in January 2016 it came with 21" Silver Cyclone Wheels and summer tires. The car had 19,000 miles on it. We immediately purchased from Tesla a winter set mounted on 19" 10 spoke rims which were installed right after our initial inspection of the car. That summer we swapped to the summer set and had our first trip to have the TPMS sensors read and uploaded to the car. We kept getting error messages so Tesla replaced the TPMS sensors for new ones that matched the old system. It worked fine until this month.

We were on the freeway in a not nice part of Denver at night and got a low pressure warning. I got off the freeway and all of the fires were fine. I used a tire gauge to check them. The next day I contacted Tesla and told them I wanted to know how much it would cost to change to the newer system and when could it be done? I looked online and it seemed to range between $500 - $1200 based on other'sites experiences. We were willing to pay it. The estimate was never clarified.

When I got an email back Tesla decided to cover this under warranty instead of treating it as an upgrade. They also included changing the TPMS sensors in our winter set of wheels/tires at no cost as "goodwill". So about 10 days after the freeway low tire pressure scare incident, I took our car to the service center and we now have the same TPMS system every Model S has since mid-2014. While waiting I was loaned a P85D with Autopilot so I didn't have to "hang out at the Sevice Center" for 6 hours while they upgraded our car. This was no small job. It involved changing all of the TPMS sensors in the wheels, on the car, a module in the main computer, and a section of wiring harness which on a Signature Edition required removing and reinstalling part of the interior of the car.

This is probably the last time I'll go to that Service Center (at Evans and Monaco) as on the 14th of this month they are relocating to a much larger space at 5700 Broadway (and Littleton). I wish them well with their move and thank them for their excellent service.
20170804_224150.jpg

Not many cars get better at 60,000 miles and almost 5 years old. Ours did. The original TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) for the Model S like most other required manually reading the TPMS sensor on each wheel and then plugging the reader into a port on the car. For some reason instead of using a standard OBDII port like every other vehicle to report the readings via CANBUSS Tesla has its own proprietary port. My guess it has to do with security to prevent the potential for hacking due to limitations of OBDII and CANBUSS protocols. The result is that for these early Model S every time we seasonally swapped wheels and tires we had to go to the Tesla Service Center on a 250 mile round trip for a free 1 minute visit so they could read and update our TPMS so it would recognize the newly mounted set.

Tesla started using a different system by mid-2014 which was manufactured by a different company and can be updated from the center screen with the push of a virtual button and taking the car for a drive. The early system was not too much of a problem most owners and in part due to low numbers of vehicles being produced until about mid-2014 when production really started to ramp up (and has continued to accelerate ever since). The early system also only gave rudimentary warnings like "low tire pressure pull over now". The newer system actually displays the tire pressure for each tire .

When we got our CPO 2012 P85 Signature Edition Model S in January 2016 it came with 21" Silver Cyclone Wheels and summer tires. The car had 19,000 miles on it. We immediately purchased from Tesla a winter set mounted on 19" 10 spoke rims which were installed right after our initial inspection of the car. That summer we swapped to the summer set and had our first trip to have the TPMS sensors read and uploaded to the car. We kept getting error messages so Tesla replaced the TPMS sensors for new ones that matched the old system. It worked fine until this month.

We were on the freeway in a not nice part of Denver at night and got a low pressure warning. I got off the freeway and all of the fires were fine. I used a tire gauge to check them. The next day I contacted Tesla and told them I wanted to know how much it would cost to change to the newer system and when could it be done? I looked online and it seemed to range between $500 - $1200 based on other'sites experiences. We were willing to pay it. The estimate was never clarified.

When I got an email back Tesla decided to cover this under warranty instead of treating it as an upgrade. They also included changing the TPMS sensors in our winter set of wheels/tires at no cost as "goodwill". So about 10 days after the freeway low tire pressure scare incident, I took our car to the service center and we now have the same TPMS system every Model S has since mid-2014. While waiting I was loaned a P85D with Autopilot so I didn't have to "hang out at the Sevice Center" for 6 hours while they upgraded our car. This was no small job. It involved changing all of the TPMS sensors in the wheels, on the car, a module in the main computer, and a section of wiring harness which on a Signature Edition required removing and reinstalling part of the interior of the car.

This is probably the last time I'll go to that Service Center (at Evans and Monaco) as on the 14th of this month they are relocating to a much larger space at 5700 Broadway (and Littleton). I wish them well with their move and thank them for their excellent service. View attachment 245877

Do you mind posting all the parts on the invoice they changed? Can you scan it and upload it?

Part Quantity

TPMS ECU RECEIVER 433 MHz - 1
CONTINENTAL - NORTH AMERICA AND
EUROPE (1034601-00-A)

TPMS, SENSOR, 433 MHz SILVER VALVE 4
STEM (1034602-00-C)

ASY,HRN,ADAPT,CONTI TPMS (1056262-00-B) 1

DUAL LOCK 25MM X 20MM (1008246-00-B) 2

TPMS NUT, SILVER, CONTI (1038973-00-A) 4

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I just got quoted $600 by the Cleveland SC because the old ones malfunctioned, I have a 2013 S which is in service for 75K miles ($725). Im also getting the 12v ($200) replaced the 2nd time, first time it was under warranty. Total should be around $1525

I paid the equivalent of USD 820 (DKK 5100) back in February 2017 for the upgrade in my 2013 Model S.
This included 4 sensors, ECU, software update and labor. I was the first upgrade my local service center in Aarhus, DK did. The upgrade was executed without a hitch and I would do it again any time.

I have decided not to wait until the Baolongs fail and hoping the SvC performs the retrofit via goodwill, so I've ordered the parts and plan to do the install part myself. Will still need to beg Tesla for the wiring harness adapter and then to change the ECU setting to the Conti sensors. But for the cost savings and love of working on cars, I'm going to try to pull it off.

I have decided not to wait until the Baolongs fail and hoping the SvC performs the retrofit via goodwill, so I've ordered the parts and plan to do the install part myself. Will still need to beg Tesla for the wiring harness adapter and then to change the ECU setting to the Conti sensors. But for the cost savings and love of working on cars, I'm going to try to pull it off.

Great - keep us posted!

Of course, after I order the retrofit module (1034601-00-B) based on SB-15-17-003 R2, I find there is a newer version of the module (00-C) listed in the R3 version of the Service Bulletin. I only hope Tesla will still sell me Rev A of wiring harness adapter (1056262-00). If my only option is Rev B of the adapter, I hope it is backwards compatible with the TPMS module I now have. Of course, this is all a moot point if the harness is a restricted part. Then I just have to wait until a sensor fails under warranty to get the upgrade.

I have a 2015 P85D that I bought a spare tire for off ebay, that didn't come with a TPMS sensor. I didn't realize that they changed the sensor over the years. I bought a used TPMS set off ebay that I was hoping to use one for the spare and keep the others just in case.

The part number on them is this: TPMS Sensors 1034602-00-C.

Does anyone know if I can use these sensors in my car?

@Videofrank: If your car showed the individual tire pressures before, then yes, that part number is the current Conti TPMS sensor.

As for my saga, the Alpharetta SC in GA is not playing "goodwill" ball with me. I bought a used Conti TPMS receiver module (1034601-00-B) off eBay (donor vehicle was a 2015 MS), the ServCenter installed the used module, buttoned up all the carpet, set the Conti sensor bit, flashed the updated change then call me up and tell me the receiver module is VIN specific and cannot be used again. They called to get authorization for additional $$ to install a brand new module (1034601-00-C). What adds to my frustration with this SC is they knew it was from a parted out vehicle, yet they continued to install the used module (at my expense), tell me it wasn't possible, then charge me again (at full retrofit labor time) to pull the carpet back in one place and swap modules. I cannot wait to get my vehicle back as I will never return there again. Luckily I have more than one SC in Atlanta to take my '12 Signature P85. The Alpharetta/Roswell SC is not cooperative at all to CPO owners, go to the Decatur SC instead. Thankfully, I am still within my return period for the used module, so at least I'm not out that amount.

Rechard, I am with you. There's a hint in your post that you don't believe a receiver module is VIN specific. I don't believe that either. Doesn't make sense that a part like that with have been flashed at a factory some where just to work on a specific car/VIN. I don't buy it.. Sorry for the pun, looks like you did, sorry for the pun. Thankfully that you can return the old one.

Had you already replaced wheels with gen2 sensors or replaced gen1 to gen2 sensors?

When I bought my CPO, the sales agent said they would replace the aftermarket wheels with the wheels the car configuration was set to. In my case, it was the 21" grey turbines. Due to this, the SC agreed to put the Conti wheel sensors in if I would pay to have the rest of the retrofit kit installed. Since the bulk of the retrofit cost is from the wheel sensors, I agreed to it. I was able to buy generic Conti sensors to eventually put into the aftermarkets they are letting me keep so I will be able to switch back and forth between wheel sets (if I so choose). In reality, I'll only ever change wheels when it comes time for new tires and then it will come down to tire cost between the 20" aftermarket wheels and 21" stock wheels. When I go to pick up my car, I definitely plan to contest the double charge.

REckard, thanks. You just helped me understand a different puzzle. I heard from another owner that Tesla reduced his trade-in value because he had aftermarket wheels. Your comment that they would replace the aftermarket helps confirm that. So, if they are putting OEM wheels on your car, they probably paid at least in part for the replacements from the reduced value of the trade-in. Maybe its only on paper that they cover the cost of the OEM wheels, but it hints how important OEM wheels are to Tesla and how much they wish to avoid selling one with them.

I paid the equivalent of USD 820 (DKK 5100) back in February 2017 for the upgrade in my 2013 Model S.
This included 4 sensors, ECU, software update and labor. I was the first upgrade my local service center in Aarhus, DK did. The upgrade was executed without a hitch and I would do it again any time.

Hello migselv, did you get the tire pressure readings on the menu after the retrofit like gutowskia? I just did the retrofit at the local SC and they tell me it is not possible to display the pressure readings on my 2013 P85, which is in direct contradiction to what has been posted on this thread. Thanks!

@Videofrank: If your car showed the individual tire pressures before, then yes, that part number is the current Conti TPMS sensor.

As for my saga, the Alpharetta SC in GA is not playing "goodwill" ball with me. I bought a used Conti TPMS receiver module (1034601-00-B) off eBay (donor vehicle was a 2015 MS), the ServCenter installed the used module, buttoned up all the carpet, set the Conti sensor bit, flashed the updated change then call me up and tell me the receiver module is VIN specific and cannot be used again. They called to get authorization for additional $$ to install a brand new module (1034601-00-C). What adds to my frustration with this SC is they knew it was from a parted out vehicle, yet they continued to install the used module (at my expense), tell me it wasn't possible, then charge me again (at full retrofit labor time) to pull the carpet back in one place and swap modules. I cannot wait to get my vehicle back as I will never return there again. Luckily I have more than one SC in Atlanta to take my '12 Signature P85. The Alpharetta/Roswell SC is not cooperative at all to CPO owners, go to the Decatur SC instead. Thankfully, I am still within my return period for the used module, so at least I'm not out that amount.
Hey Reckard,

Did you ever find a SC to reprogram your used one off eBay or did they make you buy a new one? If so, what was the cost?

Last fall I went to a local tire shop to put the winter wheels on. After that I tried several times to reset the TPMS but it kept complaining. I asked at the SeC what to do about it and he suggested to change the TPMS controller. My S85 is from 2014 and has the old Baolong system. Guestimate for the update was 700 to 800 Euro (this is Germany), and you also need four new sensors at 80 Euro each. *gulp*

Back to the tire store. With a handheld device they walked around the car and found that one of the sensors was apparently dead, so they took the wheels of and installed four new sensors made by a company called Cub. The nice thing about these sensors is they can be programmed to work with different controller brands, including Baolong. A short trip and another TPMS reset later that error message was gone. All in all I paid 275 Euro, about 315 US$ at current exchange rate.

If you don't care about the money the Conti controller may be a good idea as it shows the tire pressure in the display, the Baolong won't. Also there is at least one report were a Baolong unit went south, flooding the CAN bus so he got stranded. The story had a happy end as eventually he got information where the controller is located, got under the car and unplugged the board.