Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofit for older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No harness, will try tomorrow, I had the sensors installed in the tires today for $73.

IF I can find the ECU and replace it, I am not sure if I need the harness.
This is what Tesla told me today, if I had them in stall the ECU and program it.

If we were to perform this installation for you, the following conditions would apply:

- You will need to sign the aftermarket equipment form.
- There will be a 4-hour labor charge.
- We will need to take payment prior to the installation.
- There is no guarantee if the installation does not work.

I think you can reinstall without removing that? But I don’t recall exactly. Did you have the harness?

Our first car didn't have harness, so had to take almost the whole passenger side interior panels off, Feb 13 car. Took a long time. That's why they are charging 4 hours labor.

Hoping my Dec 13 car will already have harness, but have not looked yet.

Last edited:
OK, so I got it loose, what a job, no matter how hard I pulled with both hands, it would not release. So I stabbed it.
So do I need to remove the bottom seat so I can remove the plastic covers on the door side kick.
Here are pictures of the bolster.
20190420_170147.jpg
20190420_170220.jpg
20190420_170151.jpg

Any input would be appreciated, I do not see the Gen-1 ECU, it must be under the car like the service manual says. This is what I have picture wise. I probably need the harness to make this work, unless that module plugged in on the short cable is a dummy for the gen-2

20190421_093554.jpg
20190421_093601.jpg

20190421_090421.jpg

Attachments

• 20190421_093626.jpg
    20190421_093626.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Any input would be appreciated, I do not see the Gen-1 ECU, it must be under the car like the service manual says. This is what I have picture wise. I probably need the harness to make this work, unless that module plugged in on the short cable is a dummy for the gen-2

View attachment 399121 View attachment 399122

View attachment 399119
Gen1 is definitely under the car. Looks like you don’t have the gen2 harness. I’m assuming they only put this in for a short time before they started putting in actual gen2’s in in oct ‘14?

OK, so I may be getting shafted here.
Made a reservation at the local SC. This coming Tuesday, they said they would provide a loaner if the work is over 2.5 hours.
So, they quoted me 4 hours for a total of $755. ouch. I have done a fair part of the dismantling, so will be nice and see if they can give me a break on the hours. Remember I have the sensors in the tires already, and they are programmed. I have the ECU, probably paid too much for that $145.
All they need to do is install the cable harness and remove the old ECU from the under carriage. and then program the MCU1.

OK, so I may be getting shafted here.
Made a reservation at the local SC. This coming Tuesday, they said they would provide a loaner if the work is over 2.5 hours.
So, they quoted me 4 hours for a total of $755. ouch. I have done a fair part of the dismantling, so will be nice and see if they can give me a break on the hours. Remember I have the sensors in the tires already, and they are programmed. I have the ECU, probably paid too much for that $145.
All they need to do is install the cable harness and remove the old ECU from the under carriage. and then program the MCU1.
ECU through Tesla is $25 :(

You can finish the job. Removing the old ECU is not that hard, just a few more screws on the bottom back near the bumper lol. It looks like you need the harness, you will need to run the wire up to BCM and cut, then splice in your harness. After that once your installed you will need to have the car updated for gen2, so that will need the SC... It's a quick connection with their software and hopefully they dont charge you more than an hour. Maybe you can even have a ranger come out and do it? The main part of the cost is installing the harness.

...they quoted me 4 hours for a total of $755...
That job has been previously quoted by Tesla for less than 4 hours. Take a look at the thread with the estimates/invoices and have your SC explain how the job takes longer now. From those past write ups, the 4 wheel sensors are a good chunk of the parts cost... which you already have. So the time spent for 4 wheels unmount/mount re-balance is also not necessary. And as you noted, you have done a chunk of the dismantling labor already.

TPMS Upgrade

Why was your ECU $125? did you buy used? I saw a report where someone purchased a used one and took to tesla to install. Tesla installed it and said it didnt work, and sold him a new one. I've never tried a used one so dont know the story behind that. I used a new one with harness bought from SC and it works fine.

You can remove the old ecu without jacking up car, to get more space back up to overhang at your garage? I have air so I put on high and was able to remove it fine.

TonyT
Yes it was used, I have authorized to return it, and notified Tesla SC to order one for me.
I will look again under the card for the place to remove the ECU, so wish I had a picture of exactly where that plate is located.