Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofit for older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can finish the job. Removing the old ECU is not that hard, just a few more screws on the bottom back near the bumper lol. It looks like you need the harness, you will need to run the wire up to BCM and cut, then splice in your harness. After that once your installed you will need to have the car updated for gen2, so that will need the SC... It's a quick connection with their software and hopefully they dont charge you more than an hour. Maybe you can even have a ranger come out and do it? The main part of the cost is installing the harness.

Can you take a picture of where that plate is, and do I just remove the ECU, and nothing else.
I have a jack, and two jack stands, that I could use on the rear of the car.

I installed a used one off a totaled car and the mobile ranger was able to program it perfectly fine. When removing thengen 1 I would definitely tape up the connector, maybe even add some liquid electrical tape if you’re not able to get the connector cap.

I installed a used one off a totaled car and the mobile ranger was able to program it perfectly fine. When removing thengen 1 I would definitely tape up the connector, maybe even add some liquid electrical tape if you’re not able to get the connector cap.

Dave,
I have the homelink connector cap, is that what i put on the cable when i remove the gen-1 ecu under the rear bumper area. Still need to find that,

Attachments

• rear cover.JPG
    rear cover.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I have decided not to wait until the Baolongs fail and hoping the SvC performs the retrofit via goodwill, so I've ordered the parts and plan to do the install part myself. Will still need to beg Tesla for the wiring harness adapter and then to change the ECU setting to the Conti sensors. But for the cost savings and love of working on cars, I'm going to try to pull it off.
It’s been some time since your post. We just found out that our 2014 S model unlike our 2013 P85 doesn’t have the car status display. Can you let me know how it worked out for you. I’d like to update the wife’s car.

I'll confirm you don't have to remove the old TPMS ecu. I removed it in my first car, and didn't in my second for testing. I plan to remove when I'm working on the bumper. It seems to be working fine as others have reported. Pressure shows on dash. I don't get the 0/no pressure as others have reported, maybe it is very infrequent? I'll keep watching. You actually don't need to do the sensor reset in MCU menu I don't think. I initially pressed but didn't detect anything. After driving a couple miles my screen told me it found new sensors and let me accept them. Maybe it didn't help I had 9 transmitters in my car, however some were 1st gen...

TPMS light still lit though, so I think I need to visit SC and have them enter the codes with toolbox.

I’ve changed my mind about leaving the the old tpms module in. It can stop displaying the pressure pretty frequently. Also was probably a edge case but I was getting lots of little crashes and all my error indicators lit up along with that static parked image. Double wheel reset corrected. Has not happened again yet. Every crash also caused streaming radio to glitch and signal to stop display and sounding.

It’s been some time since your post. We just found out that our 2014 S model unlike our 2013 P85 doesn’t have the car status display. Can you let me know how it worked out for you. I’d like to update the wife’s car.

I bit the bullet and paid Tesla to install all the parts. Now I can see individual tire pressures on the IC. The TPMS module from Tesla only was $25 and I bought the Conti TPMS sensors off Amazon or Ebay (don't recall). Car was in service for an unrelated issue and had the work done then.

I bit the bullet and paid Tesla to install all the parts. Now I can see individual tire pressures on the IC. The TPMS module from Tesla only was $25 and I bought the Conti TPMS sensors off Amazon or Ebay (don't recall). Car was in service for an unrelated issue and had the work done then.

How much did they charge you for the labor to do the install of the tpms receiver ?

Where did you get it done and how much? Or did you DIY it. I’d love to get this done on the wife’s car ASAP.

I purchased the TPMS sensors from a forum member, look and you will find him, he will program them to your VIN for $25.
Then took the sensors to the local tire shop and asked for replace in the tires, cost me $17 each tire.

Then tried to get the local SC to install the TPMS receiver cost $25 from Tesla, and the programming of the MCU.
My total out the door for that was in the area of $517 I believe. I am still glad it is done. If I could have had a better SR at the SC, who knew what I needed it could have been cheaper, as I did remove 80% of the interior .

Enoy