Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofit for older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had $300 of referral credit remaining and asked Tesla to perform this update to my 2013 vehicle. I was initially told that this is not an official retrofit, but that it was being done on a case-by-case basis as the sensors start failing in the older cars. After looking into it, local service ordered the various parts and I now have individual TPMS display on my 2013 car.

@Merrill If your SVC gives you a hard time, tell them to contact Scottsdale, AZ service which has done this to multiple vehicles and without any issues. The total cost was $598 including tax.
any chance you can send me that invoice for the tpms retrofit

Reactions: Hank42
Trying to get this done for my mid-March 2014 P85, and the SC seems to be having some difficulty getting the harness. The Service bulletin says that some cars were built with connectors on the car’s RH built-in wiring harness that eliminate the need for the (weird) TPMS retrofit harness. I’d guess that those connectors were a slipstreamed addition to the main harness.

Curious whether anyone with a car of that vintage (P33xxx) has done this update and *didn’t* need the TPMS harness? I’d probably have to pull the trim pieces myself to check it (SC is a 5 hour drive), and I’m a bit leery about breaking clips, etc…

Excuse me. I saw someone mention "service bulletin"? My SC quoted me $3000 to make 2013 (actually 2012) system work again. Everything new , not wheel senors. They are new.
They have pulled this on me twice with charge ports. Install a firmware upgrade, charge port no longer works, Bang $800, twice.

Excuse me. I saw someone mention "service bulletin"? My SC quoted me $3000 to make 2013 (actually 2012) system work again. Everything new , not wheel senors. They are new.
They have pulled this on me twice with charge ports. Install a firmware upgrade, charge port no longer works, Bang $800, twice.
The 2016 Service Bulletin for the retrofit that I referred to is attached. It emphasizes that the retrofit should be done "Only ... when performing a customer-pay retrofit, or when instructed to do so by another document."

Attachments

• SB-10081828-5448.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
I had $300 of referral credit remaining and asked Tesla to perform this update to my 2013 vehicle. I was initially told that this is not an official retrofit, but that it was being done on a case-by-case basis as the sensors start failing in the older cars. After looking into it, local service ordered the various parts and I now have individual TPMS display on my 2013 car.

@Merrill If your SVC gives you a hard time, tell them to contact Scottsdale, AZ service which has done this to multiple vehicles and without any issues. The total cost was $598 including tax.
Hi AmpedRealtor, any chance you can send that invoice/receipt to me? My SC in Tampa, FL wants $1700 for the install.

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
My OEM senors worked fine till infotainment upgrade. Hell after that. Even shut car off %300 miles from home. SC says need new sensor for $700. What?? New software not rearward compatible? No.
Home I went I finally got last two yesterday with new tpms module controller with same part number. Wil change it all out next week. Let u know if it works??

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_110318.jpg
    IMG_20230305_110318.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 83
After Infotainment upgrade, nothing works. I put new OEM old model senors in. Still error. SC said I needed new -C sensors. Software not rearward compatible. Cost $700. After the $1600 upgrade. I got four -C sensors. Also bought Autel analyzer SC uses. I installed new sensors. ZERO. not fixed. I got new TPMS -C module controller. Will install today. So, then I will have all new -C . Il let u know in a few days. I will have to find where module is located??
This is insane, write software that is not rearward compatible. Never tested on 2012 car.

Sorry for repeat post. I left out .. I wrote HQ Fremont complaining. SC called me in. Told me I needed new version -C. This just makes me so mad. By the way. I got 2 OTA patches last week. Fix bugs it said. Now my headlights stay on when they feel like it. Doors open without anyone in seat. AC cuts on when put in Park. These SW engineers are not testing anything. Really annoying. Just venting. Hopefully no one else has these .

ECU and harness installed. Now waiting for some of the trim rivets that inevitable break when removing the trim. I had a hard time with step 24 pushing the two CAN pins in the connectors in the trunk. I end up lifting the pins retaining cover, insert the pins in and close the cover. After I taped everything it cross my mind that I could have just remove the two +/-JC-CAN pins that go to the old ECU and not have to go under the car to remove it. The problem is that I can trust the schematics, that said pin 4 will be free for my new ECU and pin 1 was available. I would not trust pins 1 in the two connectors is the old ECU. But for people that have the intermittent zero readings because the old ECU is still talking on the CAN this could be a somehow easier way to disable the old TPMS-ECU.
Would it also work to cut the pink/green cable in the RH harness, which ostensibly feeds the old ECU? then you don't have to remove the old ECU nor worry about CAN conflicts?