TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TPMS Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by caddieo, Aug 21, 2013.

1. caddieo

caddieo Member

I haven't seen the answer to this anywhere so far, so I'm asking it here - and thanks in advance for any and all answers. How sensitive is the TPMS to drop in tire pressure - i.e. how many lbs./sq. inch does the pressure have to drop before a warning kicks in? I rechecked my tire pressures today, after a month, and they were all down 4 lbs. - but no warning or signal.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

36 PSI is what the TSB called for after December.

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

Thanks. I hope I won't ever have to see it that low.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

TPMS is designed to tell you if the tire is dangerously low. It would be far better if it showed the pressure so you could adjust. Barring that, if you check and adjust the pressure every driving day for a couple of months, you will be able to tell if the tires are low by the feel of how the car drives.

5. UMD86

UMD86 Member

My TPMS is activated when the pressure gets too high. Last week when the weather was very hot my pressure was very high and the sensors went off.

6. hans

hans P631

That seems right. I had mine go off twice in the past two days because of a nail in my tire and both times it was ~32-35 PSI

7. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

We have had the warning appear now on two occasions. Both times were in a rain storm.... the only other factor was we were at a higher elevation than where we live but the warning also went away after the rain stopped and were driving for a little bit. It seems to be a combination of factors as we have been in another rainstorm where we live and it did not appear and elevation alone does not make it appear. Anyone else see anything similar?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I check my tire pressure with a good gauge and have not had to adjust appreciably since I got the car in early March (which seems odd to me given the wide swing in ambient temperatures). I have never seen a TPMS error or warning (fingers crossed!)

9. MacLeodMX

MacLeodMX Member

I had a nail puncture in my 21's last month. Pressure sensor warned me that a tire was low (which one?), but not how low. Found the right tire (checked all 4) and it read 30-32 with others at 40ish. Fortunately the repair cost was only 27$. No problems since.

10. texex91

texex91 Banned

Is TPMS Standard and does it show on the 17" screen the PSI in ea tire?

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Standard, yes. Visible PSI indicator, no. Elon said at TESLIVE that on-screen PSI would be coming in a FW update.

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

Cool thanks. Great thing about firmware :smile:

13. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Awesome, didn't hear that when viewing the livestream. I think things like this should get priority over the directional view maps. :)