Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Sensitivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen the answer to this anywhere so far, so I'm asking it here - and thanks in advance for any and all answers. How sensitive is the TPMS to drop in tire pressure - i.e. how many lbs./sq. inch does the pressure have to drop before a warning kicks in? I rechecked my tire pressures today, after a month, and they were all down 4 lbs. - but no warning or signal.

I haven't seen the answer to this anywhere so far, so I'm asking it here - and thanks in advance for any and all answers. How sensitive is the TPMS to drop in tire pressure - i.e. how many lbs./sq. inch does the pressure have to drop before a warning kicks in? I rechecked my tire pressures today, after a month, and they were all down 4 lbs. - but no warning or signal.

36 PSI is what the TSB called for after December.

TPMS is designed to tell you if the tire is dangerously low. It would be far better if it showed the pressure so you could adjust. Barring that, if you check and adjust the pressure every driving day for a couple of months, you will be able to tell if the tires are low by the feel of how the car drives.

We have had the warning appear now on two occasions. Both times were in a rain storm.... the only other factor was we were at a higher elevation than where we live but the warning also went away after the rain stopped and were driving for a little bit. It seems to be a combination of factors as we have been in another rainstorm where we live and it did not appear and elevation alone does not make it appear. Anyone else see anything similar?

I check my tire pressure with a good gauge and have not had to adjust appreciably since I got the car in early March (which seems odd to me given the wide swing in ambient temperatures). I have never seen a TPMS error or warning (fingers crossed!)