TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

TPMS Sensors - 2013 Model S Retrofit?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Buckeye2320, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

So I am looking for Winter tires for my wife and I noticed that the sites all have TPMS sensor, but my wife's 2013 CPO Model S P85 does not currently have TPMS Sensors.

Can these be retrofitted to her 2013 Model S P 85?

Thanks for the help

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

All Teslas came with tire sensors, but the style was changed mid-production. If your wife's 2013 does not have wheel sensors, it should be throwing up a persistent TPMS error on the dash. Is that the case?

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Your 2013 Model S has TPMS sensors, it just doesn't display the individual tire pressures. Whoever replaces your winter tires should also replace/rebuild your TPMS sensors, but contact Tesla Service if you want the exact brand and model number.

4. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

No, I looked at the pressure and 1 tire was at 39, while 2 other were 41 and one at 42. No alarms at all.

5. Lump

Lump Active Member

No alarms triggered on my July 13 "Classic"...in exactly 5 months all 4 tires went from 45 down to 38, wonder what the threshold is?

6. strider

strider Active Member

It's usually 10% so since the recommended pressure is 42, it won't trigger until it goes below 38 (or above 46).

7. brantse

brantse Member

TPMS sensors became mandatory for all vehicles sold in the US since 2008.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No, I meant that you would have a TPMS "Error" message on the screen if no sensors present... not just a low tire pressure warning (I've had both on my 2013 car).

9. PinkGasT

PinkGasT Member

Not all TPMS have an actual sensor on the valve (as in my previous Audi's). Question: Will any 433 MHz sensor work? I have a new set I never used but was ordered for another car.

10. Cathy

Cathy New Member

I have a set of TPMS for a 2013 Model S that I am about to post as For Sale.
    Please contact me if interested in purchasing them.
    Best Offer.