Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Sensors for M/S different brands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im swapping my 21" turbines for 19" slipstreams i asked for a price for 4x TPMS sensors they informed me there are 2 brands continental and baotung and the cannot be mixed as the ECU will not recognise them is this true,, the original part no for mine are 1010938-01-B

im swapping my 21" turbines for 19" slipstreams i asked for a price for 4x TPMS sensors they informed me there are 2 brands continental and baotung and the cannot be mixed as the ECU will not recognise them is this true,, the original part no for mine are 1010938-01-B
A quick Google comes back with those being Baolong:

1010938-01-B - TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM SENSOR - BLACK - BAOLONG. Tesla OEM

You likely have a early/mid 2014 or earlier Model S. It is correct that the two sensor types are not interchangeable. There are 3rd party sensors if the quote you are getting for your 19" seems too much. I recently did the 21 to 19 slipstream swap, but I moved my original wheel sensors over.

If I had taken more time to plan it out, I "should" have bought new compatible sensors for the 19" wheels. Those original sensor batteries won't last forever, and there is the cost of the unmount / mount / balance when they do start to go bad. Pay now... or pay later. ;)

Last edited:
hi no mine is a late 2015 p85d i was suprised i would have thought they would be continentals.
That is surprising. Everything I have seen to date has indicated somewhere in mid to late 2014 was the change to Continental. Do you have individual tire pressure readings on your dashboard? If so, that functionality is tied to the newer Continental system. :/

Cool. There is also the very likely chance that if the Slipstreams you are getting are coming with the original TPMS sensors in the wheels, they would be Continentals. If that's the case, after you get them on the car it's a one button press in the MCU to get them recognized by the car. (Simple choice of 21 or 19). If you get it done at the Service Center, be sure to ask them to update your "avatar" so the pics of your car in the dash and MCU screens show the Slipstreams vs. the Turbines. :)

So this is what the SC told me about my version, way to expensive for me now.

Your vehicle does have a TPMS system, however, it is not the system that will give you each tire pressure in real time (Continental System). The system on your vehicle (Baylong) will alert you if a tire pressure is low but will not specify which tire or what the pressure is. If you would like to upgrade to the Continental system we would be happy to do so! It is roughly $900.

Hi StarLog,

Your SC may have misinformed you.
I had the same Baolong sensors in my 2010 Roadster 2.0
It does give tire pressures for each tire...
I do not know why a 3 model year later car would not also read individual tires...
A current aftermarket sensor that is a replacement for the Baolong is a Dill 2112.
It is what I currently have in my Roadster.
It will require Tesla - The Service Center or a mobile technician to reprogram the cars ECU in your car
to the new addresses of the replacement sensors...

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: StarLog
Hi Guys - What StarLog was told by the SC for his 2013 Model S is exactly right. I don't disagree that the Baolong is capable of individual pressures, but Tesla has made the conscious choice to NOT provide that feature in the Model S until the Continental system. (There are those who have "rooted" their Model S to show individual pressures with the Baolong, but that is very much non-standard.)

The Model S does not have to be reprogrammed for a compatible replacement sensor by the SC or a tech. It's a one button press in the MCU. See page 157 here:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

This thread is about using a 3rd party sensor and programming it right for the Model 3, but the method is the same for other models:

Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

:)

Hi All,

I have to respectfully disagree with the post above of the 2018 Model S service manual applying to a 2013 Model S.
I quote the service manual on page 157 as referenced "On newer Models of the S"
The procedure references cars manufactured after 2014 with the Continental system installed.
Unfortunately for the earlier cars 2012 to 2014, the service tool reset of the ECU is required...

Shawn

Reactions: StarLog
Hi Mambro,

Thank you! That is good information. I did not realize that a 2013 Model S could be converted to the Continental system.

Shawn

ShawnA,

I will be completing the upgrade within the next two weeks. The tires already have the new sensors installed, and I have the nag screen up all the time now, saying needs service. My day job keeps getting in the way of me looking for the ECU location, some documents say it is under the car, others say it is inside behind/beside the rear passenger seat bolster. I will try again today to look for it, and see if I need the harness cable. Too bad the local SC wants so many hours to do the minor stuff they will need to do, if I do find and replace the ECU. They want to charge me 4 hours of time. Either way, seems like this will be much better when completed.

I went to the local Japan restaurant Mikados this week, and saw 5 or 6 of the Tesla technicians in the restaurant, said hi to them, and said I just recently purchased a car, they could care less what I got. Should have just ignored them in their Tesla work cloths.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2013 Model S and I need to replace my TPMS sensors as two of them stopped transmitting. My vehicle uses the BAO sensors (Tesla part # 1010938-01-B). I went to my local Discount Tire store and I had them install 4 new sensors in my vehicle. The part number of the new sensors are: BAO 2112 TQ40 RED 433 MHZ. They said they programmed them to my vehicle, but I have driven over 150 miles and the car still does not recognize the sensors. I went back to Discount Tire and they have no solution. I have a few questions:

1) Is there a way to cross-reference the TPMS sensor they installed (BAO 2112 TQ40 RED 433 MHZ) and verify that it is the same as the Tesla part # 1010938-01-B?

2) Assuming they installed the correct sensors, is there any special Tesla proprietary programming that needs to be done to the sensors that Discount Tire is not able to perform? Assuming the programming is not proprietary to Tesla, what specifically needs to be done, and what equipment is required? I would like to provide them step by step instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Seth