Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got new rims and tires for MY and waiting 2 weeks on the TPMS sensors I ordered from the local SC. (wanting to keep my old wheels). I just tried the next nearest SC and they told me that they've been having trouble getting them and that they've been on order for a long time. Anyone else having problems getting these?

It's that time of year, just like trying to get winter tires now, most good stuff is sold out. Winter tires/wheels/sensors need to be ordered late summer or early fall if you want the good stuff which is readily available.

That being said, demand is high especially since only Tesla has them, I am sure they will get them back in stock, just need to wait a little longer than usual. I got mine 2 months ago and even them they were BO waiting for a new batch to come in but lucked out as a week later they had them.

3 weeks now waiting on TPMS. According to local SC they have not shipped yet. I called around to all SCs within 200 miles and no one has. Proprietary, overpriced and unavailable. Elon can figure out how to put a man on Mars but he can't figure out the logistics of basic parts.

I also had a hard time getting TPMS sensors, had called a few different SCs, one took down my name/number and said they'd call me when they came in and that was well over a month ago. I had called back after the first week had passed and they still had my name/number on file and said they'd call me as soon as they showed up, still nothing.

Since then I found a tire/wheel shop that worked with Tesla and they were able to acquire the TPMS sensors in just a few days. Got my full winter set from them with sensors. One of the sensors turned out to be bad, and I didn't want to drive back to that shop (they were almost 3 hours away) so I found a local Tesla certified body shop that said they could get it, and they got the 1 TPMS sensor in very short time, 2-3 days.

It seems Tesla doesn't mind selling these parts to commercial entities, and has a better system in place to do so than selling to individuals. Perhaps try to find a local shop that works with Tesla's and see if they can get them for you.

FWIW, I got new wheels and put in a service request for the TPMS through mobile service, and the SC quickly replied that they have them in stock and to just swing by and pickup at my convenience. I did that and had no delay (this was last week, Owings Mills MD SC) so they do exist and you can get them, sounds like it's just variable between SCs. BTW, the shop that installed my new rims/tires said that they didn't know how to program them, and I told them no worries I believe it does it itself, and sure enough, no issues with the car recognizing the new TPMS after driving it for a bit (at first it was wonky but now no problems).

FWIW, I got new wheels and put in a service request for the TPMS through mobile service, and the SC quickly replied that they have them in stock and to just swing by and pickup at my convenience. I did that and had no delay (this was last week, Owings Mills MD SC) so they do exist and you can get them, sounds like it's just variable between SCs. BTW, the shop that installed my new rims/tires said that they didn't know how to program them, and I told them no worries I believe it does it itself, and sure enough, no issues with the car recognizing the new TPMS after driving it for a bit (at first it was wonky but now no problems).

I'm not even going to have the shop put my wheels on. I'll have them mount the TPMS and tires and then I'll swap them over at home. Don't want them to deal with jacking the vehicle up or trying to mess with how to "reset" the TPMS or anything. Just do what they're skilled at, mounting tires and balancing them, do that well and I'll be happy.

I assume the sensors are essentially "on" all the time right from the factory, right? No pull tab to connect the battery to the circuit or some way to turn them on? I just don't want them to be mounted and it turns out they're not active; I know the car will look for the signal on it's own, so I'm not worried about that.

Got a text yesterday from local SC that they are trying another warehouse and might have them by end of year, later on I got an email response from the Dania Beach service center that they had them. Nearly 300 mile R/T but I drove out there today to get them (make sure you ask for the nuts also as apparently they don't come with them). He said that my VIN needed a different part than what was ordered locally, new part # 1490701-01-B. If you look that up, it does show on the schraeder site as a Model Y TPMS but that is not what shows in the EPC parts list. The Parts guru at Dania said the 01-B is a newer version. Older part number requests might be adding to the delays.

Here's a pic of the newer sensor. The part number is just below the Tesla logo. Just got them all on the MY today and they automatically were working within 2 minutes of driving. Only glitch was that it got the positions of the 2 front tire backwards. I could tell due to the pressure differences.
IMG_7812.JPG