Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of TPMS sensors, besides the regular bleep from the center console (on a 2.5), what is the downside of not having functional TPMS installed? My experience with these things on the Roadster is that now that I'm out of warranty, they aren't worth repairing or maintaining - they'll just fail and provide me with another repair bill within 12 months.

So I'm going with the ignore-the-message solution, and manually checking tire pressures now and then. But I'm hardly an expert here - is there something I'm missing that's not as obvious (I know I don't have real-time monitoring of tire pressures, but I can work with that).

I run (typically) 5 months out of the year with no TPMS since my winter set does not have them. As you have surmised, the only downside is the message, and ensuring that you are monitoring your tire pressures. You also can't go "left" through your VDS screens since the left arrow is now replaced with an error link.

Until a week ago, I wished there was no darn TPMS. I figured I can check my tire pressure with a gauge, nothing else needed. But then I got a slow leak from a nail in my tire while I was parked for a few hours. There was only 12 psi left. Instead of potentially having a ruined tire or worse, I just went to the nearest gas station, added air, and was able to monitor the pressure as I drove to a tire repair place. So now I will pay to maintain the sensors: much cheaper than a new tire or losing control while driving.

Last edited:
I stopped by the Bellevue, WA Service Center today to confirm the current price of the v1.5 sensors: $223.78 ea.
I bought a set of 4 of these several years ago for a set of winter wheels I acquired, and I'm sure I didn't pay anywhere near that price for them then.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Here's the TPMS from my 1.5 Roadster when I had my rear tires changed. I asked them to write down the make/model/number of the TPMS, instead they took a picture of it which is helpful. Will try to hunt these down since I'm going to need 4 more for a set of 2.5 Sport forged wheel's I'm building and putting on the car.

Here are some numbers/characters I could make out that appear to have any importance:

BERU - Made in Germany
FL-0105958-A
FCC ID OYGTSSRE4TC
433Mhz
10/12/08 -22

Roadster_1.5_TPMS.jpg

Last edited:
No hit on the part numbers, might be a Tesla number. However I did get a hit off the FCC ID if I got that correct such as the digits. Please verify to see if I'm close. Here's the link to the Beru TPMS with the same FCC ID and its $138, so cheaper than Tesla if its the one. We can cross reference if this is correct for another manufacturer. And off of Ebay, I found the RDE010 BERU part number (same FCC ID) which came in some Porsche 911 cars, possibly others going for $50 used for all four of them (without the valve stem). I don't think I'd buy them used. However, I'm pretty sure FCC IDs are unique for each TPMS sensor model, so if true, these are the ones to get for the 1.5 Roadster (BERU RDE010):

PORSCHE 911 TPMS SET OF 4 Tire Pressure Sensors 433 MHz RDE010

Dill TPMS Sensor: D-9008

d-9008_1.jpeg

Last edited:
My TPMS sensors are bad. I called the San Diego TSC and also received a quote of $18/each. They're not in stock, however, until later this week. I'll give an update with the installation cost.
$18 each?!

I paid Tesla over $223.78 each to replace the TPMS on my 1.5 early this year, plus $49 each for a "metal valve stem". So over $1,000 for all 4 wheels.

I'm not making that up.
The 1.5's are much better and much more expensive. The 2.x TPMS is one of the major weak points of the model, but the replacement sensors are, as you can see, much, much cheaper.