Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tpms sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called around to some local shops and they quoted me $80/each. Called Tesla and they sold them to me for $50/each. Only 2 were bad but I went ahead and had them do all 4.

Let me know if you find a better deal for future reference!

When do you need them? I bought some 21" Turbines that came off a 2014 S and have the older TPMS in them, which are not compatible with my car. I was going to swap them out in April when the weather is appropriate for summer tires.

I'm betting those TPMS sensors are not going to work with your vehicle.

Vehicles with VIN < 50900 use TPMS sensors from Baolong. VIN >= 50900 use TPMS sensors from Continental. They are not compatible.

The ones in the eBay listing look to be Continental-compatible ones, and with a 2013 vehicle, I'm betting your VIN is < 50900.

Reactions: Jashev
I'm betting those TPMS sensors are not going to work with your vehicle.

Vehicles with VIN < 50900 use TPMS sensors from Baolong. VIN >= 50900 use TPMS sensors from Continental. They are not compatible.

The ones in the eBay listing look to be Continental-compatible ones, and with a 2013 vehicle, I'm betting your VIN is < 50900.

Thanks for the information. I sent a question to the seller on Ebay. We will see what his answer is. They do have you submit your vehicle information including VIN before completing your purchase so I'm wondering if they have both available.

Hey guys, I'm kinda of a noob when it comes to TPMS. Do I need to buy them when I'm about to get new tires or are they suppose to be kept from the previous tires? How does it work.

TPMS sensors are secured inside the wheels on the other end of the valve stem. They have a battery and transmit the tire pressure reading to the car so that the car can alert you if there is a low tire pressure.

TMPS sensors only need to be changed if their battery is depleted or they malfunction. They do not need to be changed along with tires.

If you get new wheels, TPMS sensors can be moved from one set of wheels to another set.

Conversely, if you want to maintain two separate sets of wheels and tires (for summer tires and winter tires, for example), you will need a second set of TPMS sensors to go inside the other wheel set. The Tesla will recognize the new TPMS sensors after a wheel change within a few miles of driving.

Tesla uses one type of TPMS sensor for VINs less than 50900 (manufactured by Baolong), and a different type of TPMS sensor for VINs 50900 and above (manufactured by Continental). If you need replacements or need a set for s 2nd set of wheels, you will need to get the correct type. In most cases, Tesla has the lowest prices on the TPMS sensors at $50 each.

TPMS sensors are secured inside the wheels on the other end of the valve stem. They have a battery and transmit the tire pressure reading to the car so that the car can alert you if there is a low tire pressure.

TMPS sensors only need to be changed if their battery is depleted or they malfunction. They do not need to be changed along with tires.

If you get new wheels, TPMS sensors can be moved from one set of wheels to another set.

Conversely, if you want to maintain two separate sets of wheels and tires (for summer tires and winter tires, for example), you will need a second set of TPMS sensors to go inside the other wheel set. The Tesla will recognize the new TPMS sensors after a wheel change within a few miles of driving.

Tesla uses one type of TPMS sensor for VINs less than 50900 (manufactured by Baolong), and a different type of TPMS sensor for VINs 50900 and above (manufactured by Continental). If you need replacements or need a set for s 2nd set of wheels, you will need to get the correct type. In most cases, Tesla has the lowest prices on the TPMS sensors at $50 each.

Wow that was the best answer ever. Thank you so much for explaining that. I feel like I totally understand it now. :)!

Ok so I'm again looking for tpms sensors for my 2013. The guy that offered to sell his never came through, anyone else gave some they would like to sell to a poor tesla owner?

I just removed mine from my 2013 Model S (upgraded to a 2015 and had to replace them on my winter wheels) and would be willing to sell them cheap but I have no idea how much shipping would be from Canada to L.A. If you are interested, I can look into it.

Ok so I'm again looking for tpms sensors for my 2013. The guy that offered to sell his never came through, anyone else gave some they would like to sell to a poor tesla owner?
Read your post. May be able to help. On your Tesla, do you have an icon in your settings screen to reset your TPMS? Also, if you can read the serial # on the tpms, I can program new sensors & send them to you via Canada Post.