Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS showing tire pressure loss...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I swapped my winter tires, and put my Performance 20” wheels back on. When I left the tire store, my tire pressure was reading 42 PSI for all four tires. The next day, I was driving and saw the yellow tire pressure icon, and the tire pressure screen popped showing all tires at or right around 42, except my drivers side front tire was reading 32 PSI.

I used an old school gauge to check, and it did appear to show that it was low, so I filled up, and all was good. Next day it appeared low again so, I took it back to the tire shop to have them see if they could find anything. They submerged the tire and water, and did not find any leaks. They put the tires back on, and made sure everything was back at 42. Everything seemed to be good the next day, even showing more inflation in that tire as I drove, sometimes even 45 PSI. Then I noticed it was kind of low again.

i am going to take it back to the tire shop and have them measure it to verify what I am seeing since they did not see a leak. I also set up a Tesla service to see if there is a TPMS issue, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.......

So, I swapped my winter tires, and put my Performance 20” wheels back on. When I left the tire store, my tire pressure was reading 42 PSI for all four tires. The next day, I was driving and saw the yellow tire pressure icon, and the tire pressure screen popped showing all tires at or right around 42, except my drivers side front tire was reading 32 PSI.

I used an old school gauge to check, and it did appear to show that it was low, so I filled up, and all was good. Next day it appeared low again so, I took it back to the tire shop to have them see if they could find anything. They submerged the tire and water, and did not find any leaks. They put the tires back on, and made sure everything was back at 42. Everything seemed to be good the next day, even showing more inflation in that tire as I drove, sometimes even 45 PSI. Then I noticed it was kind of low again.

i am going to take it back to the tire shop and have them measure it to verify what I am seeing since they did not see a leak. I also set up a Tesla service to see if there is a TPMS issue, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.......

I’m confused. Why would there be a TPMS issue if you confirmed it was low? Sounds like the tire shop failed at their job, no?

I’m confused. Why would there be a TPMS issue if you confirmed it was low? Sounds like the tire shop failed at their job, no?

I am saying TPMS since they did not find a leak, and the PSI is all over the place after starting at 42 twice. I know weather conditions can affect the PSI, but should not be more than 1-3 PSI both ways...

unless you mean they didn’t actually check for a leak. I saw them remove the tire and take it somewhere, and it was pretty wet when they put it back in. If they checked for a leak, and made sure all tires were set to 42 (which I verified after driving away), I am not sure what they would have missed.

I also did not mention that I did not swap the tires. I swapped my 18” winter wheel/tire set up, so they did not have to remove my 20” wheel or touch the sensors during the swap...

Last edited:
I am saying TPMS since they did not find a leak, and the PSI is all over the place after starting at 42 twice. I know weather conditions can affect the PSI, but should not be more than 1-3 PSI both ways...

unless you mean they didn’t actually check for a leak. I saw them remove the tire and take it somewhere, and it was pretty wet when they put it back in. If they checked for a leak, and made sure all tires were set to 42 (which I verified after driving away), I am not sure what they would have missed.

I also did not mention that I did not swap the tires. I swapped my 18” winter wheel/tire set up, so they did not have to remove my 20” wheel or touch the sensors during the swap...

I mean you said you used a regular tire pressure gauge and confirmed it was low. That means it’s low.

What does ‘appeared low’ the next day mean? It was low on the car TPMS gauge or you measured it low with the real gauge? Either the tire has a real leak or it doesn’t. Temperature change will only be a few pounds; not 10.

low from the TPMS showing in the car. Not from the the physical gauge. Very odd. If there was a leak that was enough to drop 10 in less than a day, just seems strange that there would be zero consistency. Weather has been the same here in Seattle the past couple days. Same driving habits to and from work. One day it drops 10 psi next day it’s up to 2. And yesterday drops 3. While all the other wheels are pretty consistent.

UPDATE:

the issue was the Michelin barcode sticker was on the tire bead, and was causing a leak. Apparently this is somewhat common with Michelin tires. It’s slow leak (I like a nail) so it doesn’t show in the submerged test like a nail would. They took off the tire off the wheel, and did some deep digging and found it!