Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Sturdiness question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you anyone knew anything of the sturdiness of these sensors. One month ago I ran into an object on the freeway and my tire blew out. I have since received the replacement rim (aftermarket) but before I put on the new rim and swap out the old sensors, I was wondering if there was a chance the old sensor would be okay with a blowout at freeway speeds? Anyone with experience with these sensors and how sensitive to damage these sensors are?

If I didn't have to shell out $125 for the sensors and $35 to reprogram the sensors, that would make me a lot happier with this sad situation.

Thanks in advance.

For the most part, TPMS sensors are pretty reliable little gizmos. Given that the unit is sealed in plastic (and has no serviceable parts), there is very little that can shake loose in an event like a tire blowout. Having said that, its pretty hard to tell if the sensor has been damaged after such an incident without placing it back in the (new) wheel and airing up the tire, although most shops should have a small chamber that can be pressurized that they can place the sensor into and use close enough to the car to see if it can be recognized. I'd hesitate to be replace a sensor without testing it first.......

tpmstest.JPG

Last edited: