Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS tire location wrong after rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rotated my Model Y tires front to back about 6,000 miles ago. Yesterday I added 3 pounds to the right rear, immediately drove off, and the 3 pounds showed up on the tire pressure screen on the right front instead. No wonder I can't ever get the right rear to the desired pressure. I usually just add a pound or so and don't drive it right away. I'm on a road trip and can't experiment easily, but I suspect the left side is reversed too.

The TPMS should automatically re-orient to the new sensor locations following a tire rotation after driving for a short time. Try rebooting the Tesla computer.

I have rebooted multiple times and installed several updates. The locations are apparenly stuck in the old orientation.

Surely someone else has experienced this. However, it would be easy to go unnoticed if you keep the tires about the same. It took me 6,000 miles to figure it out.

Last edited:
You can try lowering the tire pressure on one tire by 10 PSI and wait for the low tire pressure warning indicator. Be sure you have a way to reinflate the tire to the correct pressure. This may help reset the TPMS.

Things that can cause issues with the TPMS:

Non Tesla spec size or non Tesla brand wheels or tires that are not Tesla spec (T0, T1, T2) although I have no idea why a non Tesla tire would mess with the TPMS.)

Powered USB devices such as powered USB hubs (The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual cautions that powered USB devices can cause issues with the TPMS (probably because of the vicinity of the USB controller to the TMPS BT receiver but it could be due to something else.)

You can try lowering the tire pressure on one tire by 10 PSI and wait for the low tire pressure warning indicator. Be sure you have a way to reinflate the tire to the correct pressure. This may help reset the TPMS.

Things that can cause issues with the TPMS:

Non Tesla spec size or non Tesla brand wheels or tires that are not Tesla spec (T0, T1, T2) although I have no idea why a non Tesla tire would mess with the TPMS.)

Powered USB devices such as powered USB hubs (The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual cautions that powered USB devices can cause issues with the TPMS (probably because of the vicinity of the USB controller to the TMPS BT receiver but it could be due to something else.)

I have original 19" OEM Continentals. No added USB hub.

Reactions: matj1285
You could try lowering the tire pressure on 1 tire as previously noted. If that doen't work, if you are willing wait until the next time you rotate the tires the TPMS should start reporting the tire pressure for the correct tire location again.

I’m having this same issue. Rotated tires front to back about 2000 miles ago. This morning I got an alert about passenger side rear tire being low.

Checked the pressure and it was 42psi. However, the front passenger side tire was low and had a nail in it. So obviously, my TPMS never reset after the tire rotation.

I’m having this same issue. Rotated tires front to back about 2000 miles ago. This morning I got an alert about passenger side rear tire being low.

Checked the pressure and it was 42psi. However, the front passenger side tire was low and had a nail in it. So obviously, my TPMS never reset after the tire rotation.

I think a lot of people have this issue and just don't know it.

It looks like firmware 2022.40.1 allows you to reset tire settings after tire rotations among other improvements.

1666991284989.png

Reactions: mswlogo
It looks like firmware 2022.40.1 allows you to reset tire settings after tire rotations among other improvements.

View attachment 868561

That's great! I'm installing 2022.36.6 this very minute. I'll get the TPMS reset one of these days.

I originally posted about this last October. Here I am about 14,000 miles after my tire rotation, and my TPMS still has the front and back tires reversed. I have tried the Tire Configuration Reset many times, rebooted multiple times, and lowered the pressure on the front right tire down to 26 psi (which gave me a low pressure alert on the rear right tire).

I could rotate again, but it's winter, I don't feel like it, and my tread wear on the front and back are pretty even at 32,700 miles.

I still think others have this issue but just haven't noticed it because the tires are usually all at similar pressures.

I recently rented a Model Y in Toronto from Hertz. Front passenger wheel indicated low after 2 days. I topped it up and checked for any slow leak, such as a screw. Without a gauge handy I had to guess how much to add until I could drive a distance to get the sensors to read. Tire still said low. I found a tire shop and asked them to check, front right too high, and rear right was low. Tires were reading in reverse, did not want to waste time sorting it out and just balanced all tires to the correct pressures. Right rear did seems to have a screw embedded, but no visible leaking seen with water placed on it. Does this mean a reset is needed after swaps? We have a M Y at home that we swap with winter tires/rims without a thought to the correct pairing of sensors.

TPMS should reset automatically after tire rotation. There is a TPMS calibration setting that can be performed if the automatic calibration fails to correctly identify the location of each tire on the vehicle. (Failure to identify the correct location of each tire could also be caused by a bad TPMS sensor.)

From the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, under Tire Configuration:

After the tires on Model Y are rotated, replaced, or swapped, update your vehicle's tire configuration by touching Reset, or by touching Wheel & Tire > Tires from the same screen. This allows your vehicle to reset the learned tire settings and improve your driving experience.  This also clears and resets the tread wear alert for the vehicle until you travel 6,250 miles and low tread depth is detected again.

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - US