Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS "Tire Pressure Low" error message on all four wheels... what are the odds all 4 tires are low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My 2018 Model-3 had done a software upgrade over the last Friday evening & I drove it over the weekend. But, today morning when I switched on my car I saw the (see attached snap) TPMS "Tire Pressure Low" error message on all four wheels... what are the odds that all four tires are having an issue??

I drove the car and the numbers rose from 37 to around 40 psi, as I don't have a long commute. Usually I keep the pressure around 43 psi, hence I think the air pressure couldn't rise to 43 due to my short commute and cold weather in morning.

It's been cold over past two days so is it the cause of the issue, what do I need to do next??

Thanks!!
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-08 at 12.32.28 PM.jpeg

The odds are very high, since as you mentioned it has been especially cold. Colder temps will drop the pressure a bit, perhaps enough to trigger the warning (and if your pressures were even, it would be expected then that all four report low pressure).

What do you do next? As the car says. Check tire pressures. You will find the expected "cold" pressure inside the door sill on a label, it should be 42psi. Note that this is the "cold" pressure: It should be checked and filled when cold, not after driving for more than a couple minutes or after being in direct sun which will increase the temperature.

The odds are very high, since as you mentioned it has been especially cold. Colder temps will drop the pressure a bit, perhaps enough to trigger the warning (and if your pressures were even, it would be expected then that all four report low pressure).

What do you do next? As the car says. Check tire pressures. You will find the expected "cold" pressure inside the door sill on a label, it should be 42psi. Note that this is the "cold" pressure: It should be checked and filled when cold, not after driving for more than a couple minutes or after being in direct sun which will increase the temperature.

Does Tesla still recommend following winter tire manufactures suggestions on going about 3 psi higher on full snow tires? 45 psi seems pretty high and may actually be near the max inflation pressure for a lot of tires...

Does Tesla still recommend following winter tire manufactures suggestions on going about 3 psi higher on full snow tires? 45 psi seems pretty high and may actually be near the max inflation pressure for a lot of tires...

Not that I recall from the owner's manual. They recommend 42 for the winters they sell. Only reference I could see to increased pressure is for very high speed driving (>220 km/h).

Surely folks that are new to the Model 3 have heard of the search engine Google, right??

Or have read the forums and seen the response, "RTFM"?

I think the forum moderators (after deleting/moving/editing my post) should create a sticky that suggests the following:

1. Before posting, search and/or read the manual. (Available in car, and also through your account over at Tesla.com)
2. If you can't find it in the manual, try google. (Here)
3. If neither of those solutions work, search the forums. (Here)
4. If that still doesn't work, create a post requesting help.

Thanks.

Max is 50 for the OEM Michelins. So you're right. It also makes for a stiff ride.

Check your pressures, manually, before adding air. And, look at the day's weather before adding air. If the temps are as I remember down in northern VA, you can get a big temperature swing as the weather cools. Mornings are cool, but daytime is pretty warm. If that's the case, you might want to wait before adding air. Wait until you see a whole week of cooler weather that stays cool, then add air.

Check your pressures, manually, before adding air. And, look at the day's weather before adding air. If the temps are as I remember down in northern VA, you can get a big temperature swing as the weather cools. Mornings are cool, but daytime is pretty warm. If that's the case, you might want to wait before adding air. Wait until you see a whole week of cooler weather that stays cool, then add air.

I wouldn't wait, but you might want to add an extra 2 or 3 psi expecting it to drop some again...

Reactions: dhanson865
As covered, the odds are really good if the temperature change was substantial. I've gotten less than four set off at once before, but there wasn't much of a temperature swing for that. I have indeed see all 4 tires go off....and I've seen this on vehicles before the Tesla, nothing particularly unique in this way although not all vehicles with TPMS have as narrow a window for "acceptable PSI" as Teslas do.

Options for you:
1) get in and drive like your hair's on fire, this will quickly warm the tires and eventually the pressure rise enough and then after a while the error message will reset
Pro
- fun!!!!
Cons
- takes a while
- speeding tickets
- tire wear
- until the temp rises you're driving with flabby tires that are a bit below optimum pressure
- when you park and the tires have time to cool you'll need to repeat the procedure (well I guess this point neutral rather than Con, see the Pro above ;) )

2) go into the Service tab and calibrate the tire pressure level to a lower PSI value
Pro
- takes about 1 minute or so (well maybe a few minutes to read the instructions if you've not done it before)
Con
- you've still got somewhat under inflated tires, until they warm up with driving

3) put some more air in the tires
Pro
- your tires are now in better shape to keep you on the road facing in the direction you wish to be pointed
Cons
- boooooring
- when the season/weather changes and things warm back up you'll need to let some air out

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: C141medic
Surely folks that are new to the Model 3 have heard of the search engine Google, right??

Or have read the forums and seen the response, "RTFM"?

I think the forum moderators (after deleting/moving/editing my post) should create a sticky that suggests the following:

1. Before posting, search and/or read the manual. (Available in car, and also through your account over at Tesla.com)
2. If you can't find it in the manual, try google. (Here)
3. If neither of those solutions work, search the forums. (Here)
4. If that still doesn't work, create a post requesting help.

Thanks.
Half of model 3 owners turned in 15 year old Priuses. They're so overextended on the new car that every single 'issue' gets a ranting post that blames Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover