Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ended up costing me $600 (maybe $628) for sensors and all, but I had no choice in when, I had been ignoring the idiot light for a dead sensor battery till it would be convenient to upgrade the system. Well the TPMS module failed and jambed up the CanBus disabling the car.

Did the 4GLTE upgrade long as it was in

I just got quoted over $1000 for the retrofit. This was the scheduler that quoted me the price and didn't really give a reason other than it was a recent change. I haven't had a chance to talk to the North Houston Service Center to see what they quote. Anyone got any ideas?

Crazy... I also just got quoted $1000 for replacement of 4 sensors!!!! Only three have failed but they recommended changing all 4. I have a 2013 which uses the Baolong sensor but they quoted replacement with Continental sensors and said the price was about the same but with the Continental I'd be able to read off the pressure values from the dash. This was at the Los Angeles Service Center on Centinella.

I checked some alternatives:
-America Tire on Hawthorne will replace for about $520 (Baolong sensors at $100 each).
-TireRack lists the sensor price at $67 each (model "S147" no manufacture given) and Foster tire would install all four for $90. That would be less expensive at $380. However Foster Tire does not know if they will work as their reset device only works on some types of TPMS sensors and not others.
-RockAuto.com has "VDO" sensors at $47.89 each... assuming a Foster install, this comes to approximately $290.
-Amazon has ITM sensors but the are for a later model year (probably similar to the Continental design). Only $130 but I worry they won't get registered with the car.

I have sensors from Tirerack (got them with a set of 20" wheels I bought from Tirerack) and they have worked perfectly for over a year now. I had Discount tire check them at one point and they had the tool to see battery condition and pressure reading directly from the sensor. I have the early TPMS that doesn't show the pressure on the dash but the tool @ discount tire showed that it's not a limitation of the sensor. Still wonder why Tesla can't show the pressure on the early system?

Crazy... I also just got quoted $1000 for replacement of 4 sensors!!!! Only three have failed but they recommended changing all 4. I have a 2013 which uses the Baolong sensor but they quoted replacement with Continental sensors and said the price was about the same but with the Continental I'd be able to read off the pressure values from the dash.
The Service Center quote is on the high side from what we've seen, and is for the full TPMS v2 (Continental) upgrade of the 4 sensors, the receiver, the harness, programming the car, etc. and yes, it would show you the pressure per tire on the driver instrument cluster. If all you are after is replacing the sensors in the wheels, then go that route 3rd party. The batteries in the sensors are not replaceable, so probably not a bad idea to replace all four wheel sensors. Here is an interesting thread, and although related to Model 3 and Gen 2, should get you going for Gen 1:

For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25

The Service Center quote is on the high side from what we've seen, and is for the full TPMS v2 (Continental) upgrade of the 4 sensors, the receiver, the harness, programming the car, etc. and yes, it would show you the pressure per tire on the driver instrument cluster. If all you are after is replacing the sensors in the wheels, then go that route 3rd party. The batteries in the sensors are not replaceable, so probably not a bad idea to replace all four wheel sensors.

I ended up going with the OEM @ America Tire for a complete turnkey solution.

My 2013 MS85 is going in for a conversion to Conti-TPMS. My original system, Baolong?? I would guess... started crapping out on me last year in November. I kept getting a message: "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault - Sensors unable to measure tire pressure." I took it in to have it checked out, they replaced one sensor, and on the way home, the same error message started up again. It's been intermittent now instead of constant, but still happens on almost any drive over 10 minutes long. I asked that they update it to the newer, more detailed system. I was hoping for a reasonable price like some of the quotes I saw here, but they are quoting me $1100. I guess it's what you deal with when you have a Tesla... they charge you whatever they need at the moment. BUT -- judging from the pics I've seen of the DIY projects, I'd rather pay $1100 and have my system work than go through tearing up my car and possibly having just a pile of useless parts afterwards. I'm not that handy on computerized super-golfcarts like the MS. I will post my invoice once the service is completed. At least I can happily say that they've been really great with me at the Fremont, CA Service Center whenever I've been there, and the people on the phone have been friendly, helpful, honest, and humorous.

Not sure how it will show on the bill but doing business where you are cost a heck of a lot more than most other places.

They may be inflating prices to reduce traffic as well

There's a pretty good chance that labor costs are higher here than in many other places. I couldn't begin to offer any insight on whether they'd inflate prices to keep traffic down... that doesn't seem like a Tesla profit move... ?

I just got my car back from having the Conti- retrofit to the new V2 TPMS. I am really happy with the upgrade. It's awesome to be able to monitor the pressures individually. I am also extremely happy with the service I've received from the Fremont, CA Tesla Service Center. They have been really professional, polite, informative, and I've had great communication with them.

I just got my car back from having the Conti- retrofit to the new V2 TPMS. I am really happy with the upgrade. It's awesome to be able to monitor the pressures individually. I am also extremely happy with the service I've received from the Fremont, CA Tesla Service Center. They have been really professional, polite, informative, and I've had great communication with them.
Just wondering if you tried price matching to an invoice posted on this thread for around $500

My local SC in PA charges $980 for 4 new TPMS wheel sensors plus the ECU module and harness.
Suck that’s no bueno! $1000 is insane
The tech told me they've never done any of the "module only" retrofits, but in case your vehicle has a VIN > 50900 and was manu'd before 9/17/2014, you will very likely have the harness already there, so you only need the module. It takes about 30 minutes to remove the panels from the C pillar, install the module, and replace everything. I got the ECU for $28 from the SC and the 4 sensors online for $37 plus shipping.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese
Now I'm stuck trying to get Toolbox access to change the tpms_type to Continental-2. The SC won't do it due to "liability" (whatever that means). I installed the ECU that I purchased at the SC! not like I installed a 3rd-party ECU. Anyway, they said to contact an Authorized Tesla Collision Center. Guess what? none of 12 collision centers I spoke to had much of a clue about TPMS or the Toolbox. So, I bought the cable for $28 on ebay and I'm going to get the 1-day $160 Toolbox 3 subscription and change the setting on both of my 2014 MSs on the same day. I already have the ECU installed on the later one, and order a 2nd ECU for the other MS (the one that will likely need the harness, I haven't open up the panels yet to confirm)...

Reactions: zwede and Gtech