TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TPMS valve stem broken

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tingbinger, Nov 8, 2019 at 9:20 PM.

1. Tingbinger

Tingbinger Member

I just had my winter tires put back on and was trying to top up the air and sheared the valve stem due to corrosion (will never use metal caps again...lesson learned).

It broke off below the threads for the valve itself so all the air came out, tire is now completely flat.

What's the fix here, do I need to get a new TPMS sensor from Telsa? Does this need to be towed to a tire shop or can it be done on site.

IMG_4370.jpg

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

You need another TPMS.

It's best to visit Tesla Service Center for TPMS compatibility.

If Tesla covers your tow, then go for it.

If the tow is not covered and you don't want to pay for the tow and if you are Do-It-Yourselfer, you can buy a 3-ton floor jack, a hockey puck (or a piece of wood) to pad it with, a tire cap tweezers or long nose pliers to pull the nut caps off, 21mm (13/16") tire wrench, and a torque wrench with 21mm socket to put your tire back on and torque the nuts back correctly at 290 lbs-ft.

A generic tire shop could change the TPMS for you. For a better chance of compatibility, make sure the TPMS is single frequency 433MHZ, and not dual, not multi-frequencies.

Good luck!

3. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

I recently had my tires changed at an NTB and they put new TPMS sensors in place and everything was fully functional already by the time I got my car back.

4. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The correct lug nut torque is 129 lb-ft NOT 290 lb-ft.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm an amateur and don't do this in real life at all and sometimes relying on memory could get me only 2 digits right out of 3 which of crouse, is very bad!.

Thanks for the correction. Sorry. My bad.

6. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

I had errors like that happening when my keyboard was starting to fail. I would hit a key and it wouldn't register. A new keyboard took care of the problem.

• Like x 1