Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS valve stem broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my winter tires put back on and was trying to top up the air and sheared the valve stem due to corrosion (will never use metal caps again...lesson learned).

It broke off below the threads for the valve itself so all the air came out, tire is now completely flat.

What's the fix here, do I need to get a new TPMS sensor from Telsa? Does this need to be towed to a tire shop or can it be done on site.

IMG_4370.jpg

...What's the fix here...

You need another TPMS.

It's best to visit Tesla Service Center for TPMS compatibility.

If Tesla covers your tow, then go for it.

If the tow is not covered and you don't want to pay for the tow and if you are Do-It-Yourselfer, you can buy a 3-ton floor jack, a hockey puck (or a piece of wood) to pad it with, a tire cap tweezers or long nose pliers to pull the nut caps off, 21mm (13/16") tire wrench, and a torque wrench with 21mm socket to put your tire back on and torque the nuts back correctly at 290 lbs-ft.

A generic tire shop could change the TPMS for you. For a better chance of compatibility, make sure the TPMS is single frequency 433MHZ, and not dual, not multi-frequencies.

Good luck!

You need another TPMS.

It's best to visit Tesla Service Center for TPMS compatibility.

If Tesla covers your tow, then go for it.

If the tow is not covered and you don't want to pay for the tow and if you are Do-It-Yourselfer, you can buy a 3-ton floor jack, a hockey puck (or a piece of wood) to pad it with, a tire cap tweezers or long nose pliers to pull the nut caps off, 21mm (13/16") tire wrench, and a torque wrench with 21mm socket to put your tire back on and torque the nuts back correctly at 290 lbs-ft.

A generic tire shop could change the TPMS for you. For a better chance of compatibility, make sure the TPMS is single frequency 433MHZ, and not dual, not multi-frequencies.

Good luck!
The correct lug nut torque is 129 lb-ft NOT 290 lb-ft.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tam and SSedan