TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TPMS vs Tire Gauge Discrepancy

Discussion in 'Model X' started by wqu06, Jul 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wqu06

wqu06 Member

Has anyone noticed that the TPMS pressure is slightly (for me ~2 PSI) lower than manually using a tire gauge? The 20 inch tires on my Model X recommends 42 PSI and that is what I have it set to according to my tire gauge, however, the TPMS reads it at 40 PSI.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Perhaps stupid question, have you tried another tire gauge? :D You never know which is 'correct' without a standard...

3. wqu06

wqu06 Member

#3 wqu06, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

This is what I used. Also used this. Both were different than the TPMS and from each other.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Mine seem to be all over the map (well two of them agree) until the car is driven for about 20 miles by about 2 lbs. Then they all seem to reach the same maximum.

It's part of my to do list to apply a highly accurate tire pressure gauge to validate against both cold and hot readings.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Those seem to be the same thing? I have no idea what the accuracy and repeatability of consumer tire gauges is. Accuracy may be a PSI or so. Repeatability may be more precise.

But we still don't know which of any of them is 'correct', which is the problem. I might trust the electronic ones (TPMS) more. I might be incorrect. I like @aesculus 's plan. :D At least, do it once so you can trust things.

6. wqu06

wqu06 Member

Oops...sorry. This is the first one.

I also did both readings in the AM when the car was parked overnight inside a garage.

7. rainforest

rainforest Member

Yes. I pumped my tires to 45, but car display shows 43.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

As the saying goes...

A man with a clock knows what time it is.

A man with two clocks is never sure.

• Like x 2
  9. wqu06

wqu06 Member

What PSI does everyone here inflate their tires to? The label on the car recommends 42 PSI.