Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS vs Tire Gauge Discrepancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed that the TPMS pressure is slightly (for me ~2 PSI) lower than manually using a tire gauge? The 20 inch tires on my Model X recommends 42 PSI and that is what I have it set to according to my tire gauge, however, the TPMS reads it at 40 PSI.

Mine seem to be all over the map (well two of them agree) until the car is driven for about 20 miles by about 2 lbs. Then they all seem to reach the same maximum.

It's part of my to do list to apply a highly accurate tire pressure gauge to validate against both cold and hot readings.

This is what I used. Also used this. Both were different than the TPMS and from each other.
Those seem to be the same thing? I have no idea what the accuracy and repeatability of consumer tire gauges is. Accuracy may be a PSI or so. Repeatability may be more precise.

But we still don't know which of any of them is 'correct', which is the problem. I might trust the electronic ones (TPMS) more. I might be incorrect. I like @aesculus 's plan. :D At least, do it once so you can trust things.