Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure where it is in the manual, if it is there. You do get a slight visual clue with the three dots below the wiper info. This is similar to the page dots in Android phones. I think it is a bit too subtle since you shouldn't be looking at small dots while driving. So you have to be aware of this and see it when you aren't moving...Yes, of course you need to be familiar with the UI before driving.

Speaking of wipers. During dry weather the way you switch between auto and other speeds is fine. However, during intermittent rainy, not raining and heavy rain it would be nice to make the wiper page sticky so it is easier to access. If auto worked all the time, maybe this wouldn't be needed. But I found that under some conditions auto is great. Other times it just isn't seeing the rain and doesn't keep up at all. Perhaps it is the lighting. A voice command to bump up the speed would be nice. Or a double bump on the turn signal wiper button.

I'm not sure where it is in the manual, if it is there. You do get a slight visual clue with the three dots below the wiper info. This is similar to the page dots in Android phones. I think it is a bit too subtle since you shouldn't be looking at small dots while driving. So you have to be aware of this and see it when you aren't moving...Yes, of course you need to be familiar with the UI before driving.

Speaking of wipers. During dry weather the way you switch between auto and other speeds is fine. However, during intermittent rainy, not raining and heavy rain it would be nice to make the wiper page sticky so it is easier to access. If auto worked all the time, maybe this wouldn't be needed. But I found that under some conditions auto is great. Other times it just isn't seeing the rain and doesn't keep up at all. Perhaps it is the lighting. A voice command to bump up the speed would be nice. Or a double bump on the turn signal wiper button.
Thanks, I didn't know about those dots. I did notice them and I assumed they had something to do with the wiper speed or something like that. I has no clue it meant there are other things to select other than wipers.

I am not much of a portable phone user of any type. But I did notice my M3 was kinda like a Smartphone on Wheels.

I have driven my M3 in the rain and I was surprised the wipers were automatic as I never knew that existed. But so far, the automatic mode has been perfect. However, I kinda like it to be a bit on the slow side when the rain is on the light side and it went fast enough when I was in heavy rain. There was no lightning at all, so perhaps that was your main issue. I have not yet driven it in a lightning storm.

-Don- Reno, NV

It's on page 4 of the manual. You kind of have to look hard to find it, easy to miss.
I did read that previously. But I didn't understand that I had to slide right on the wiper icon itself and so it didn't work for me. I gave up trying to find it and then posted my message here.

And I also didn't understand what it meant by "cards". What "cards" ?

And it also makes it sound like perhaps it only displays the tire pressures when they are "not in acceptable limits". But I see that is not the case. After driving a few miles, it said all four tires are at 42 psi.

I find it somewhat poorly written even now after I understand what it means (except for the "cards" part).

-Don- Reno, NV

Now that you have found the trip meter - energy use “card”; when it is showing you can swipe the card up/down and you will see other cards as well. (Such as miles and kWh since last charge).

Even though we read the manual, we don’t always understand all we know. :) So it is OK to ask.

Now that you have found the trip meter - energy use “card”; when it is showing you can swipe the card up/down and you will see other cards as well. (Such as miles and kWh since last charge).

Even though we read the manual, we don’t always understand all we know. :) So it is OK to ask.
Thanks, as I had no idea and I was just going to ask where they hid the trip odometers.

I have less than 2K miles on my M3, so I am just starting to get to know its countless features.

I figure by the time I learn them all, there will be a new update with more well hidden features, at least for us non-Smartphone users.

-Don- Reno, NV

One more thing I am curious about . . .

On the bottom right side of the screen, just above the volume thingy (also shown on page 4 of the User Manual), there are three icons, bottom one is for Supercharger locations, top one changes the map display, the middle one looks like a traffic light. What does this middle one that looks like a traffic light do?

-Don- Reno, NV

One more thing I am curious about . . .

On the bottom right side of the screen, just above the volume thingy (also shown on page 4 of the User Manual), there are three icons, bottom one is for Supercharger locations, top one changes the map display, the middle one looks like a traffic light. What does this middle one that looks like a traffic light do?

-Don- Reno, NV

I believe it enables/disables displaying of current traffic conditions on the map... I don't use it much though because Waze is more current, it seems

However, during intermittent rainy, not raining and heavy rain it would be nice to make the wiper page sticky so it is easier to access. If auto worked all the time, maybe this wouldn't be needed. But I found that under some conditions auto is great. Other times it just isn't seeing the rain and doesn't keep up at all. Perhaps it is the lighting. A voice command to bump up the speed would be nice. Or a double bump on the turn signal wiper button.

i know that if you press the intermittent wiper button on the left stalk, the wiper settings will instantly display on the screen's lower left. saves the trouble of trying to figure out where to swipe

Reactions: SVMike

I have the opposite problem. Even if there is a light drizzle, my car thinks I'm driving into the eye of the storm and goes nuts.

I have the opposite problem. Even if there is a light drizzle, my car thinks I'm driving into the eye of the storm and goes nuts.
Is your windshield clean? I think the rain is probably detected by that thingy in the upper middle of the windshield. If the glass above and around it is not clean, it will probably have such an effect on your rain detection.

If I am guessing wrong here about how & where the rain is detected, I hope somebody here will correct me.

-Don- Reno, NV

Is your windshield clean? I think the rain is probably detected by that thingy in the upper middle of the windshield. If the glass above and around it is not clean, it will probably have such an effect on your rain detection.

If I am guessing wrong here about how & where the rain is detected, I hope somebody here will correct me.

-Don- Reno, NV

Of course, only working with a clean windshield wouldn't be a good design requirement, would it?
Most of the time auto mode works fine for me...for this I give it a grade of B or B-.
But I've had it go too fast (for a long time) while there was a very light drizzle.
And the opposite where there was a medium to heavy rain and it just isn't wiping hardly at all.
Sometimes, forcing a single wipe bumps it into sync.

Another improvement to the auto mode on the wipers is to allow the driver to change the sensitivity setting.
I don't know how it works, but imagine it is counting rain drops per second. In order to go from off to intermittent it needs to "see" 2 drops per sec, and to go from slow intermittent to fast it needs 3 drops/sec, etc. Adjusting the sensitivity would multiply those numbers slightly up or down. Push and hold the one-shot wiper button and scroll up/down. The wiper card shows up to show you what it did along with a slider on this card labeled auto sensitivity.