Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
Sorry if this an FAQ.

I had some repairs done on my wheels and the repairer couldn’t remember if he put the wheels back on the same corners of the car.

The TPMS works, but I have no idea if it knows which corner each sensor is on. Does the system work it out for itself?

If so, how?

If not, what do I have to do to set it up properly?

Sorry if this an FAQ.

I had some repairs done on my wheels and the repairer couldn’t remember if he put the wheels back on the same corners of the car.

The TPMS works, but I have no idea if it knows which corner each sensor is on. Does the system work it out for itself?

If so, how?

We had this discussion here - a lot of us were wondering the same:

Tire Rotation Question. . .

FWIW recommended tire pressure is 55 lb front, 60 rear.
wut

Now my 2011 F150 knows which tires are which pressure but it won't tell you. I bought an aftermarket head unit partly to get that capability. And I have to retrain it after each rotation. FWIW recommended tire pressure is 55 lb front, 60 rear.
Your F150 may use the wheel speed sensor method of TPMS. It's arguably a cheaper and less prone to false-negatives, because it' relies on a tried and true system with no additional need for sensors powered by batteries and wireless communications...but the down-side is you don't get the exact PSI reading. From a safety and environmental perspective, that method does the job.

i would not pump more pressure than recommended by Tesla...which is either 42psi or 45psi (depending on when your car was made)...unless you have an entirely different tire/wheel setup, in which case you'd need to do the math or still stick with Tesla's recommendation .

It looks like the tire pressure you shared was for you F150....not a Tesla Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
My F150 has TPMS sensors like Teslas. Training the system after rotation requires a tool that wakes each one up when held near the tire.
Or you can train without a tool by turning the emergency flashers off and on 3 times quickly then the horn will honk letting you know you're in train mode. You then go to the front drivers side tire and bleed air until the horn honks. Then the front pass tire, rear pass tire, and rear drivers tire. On the last tire the system honks the horn twice to let you know its finished. Then you have to air the tires back up and you can be on your way.
Reason this F150 requires 55 lb front and 60 rear is that it has the heavy duty payload package. As such it has 2,400 lb capacity axles and load range E tires capable of carrying 3195 lb each @ 80 psi. It's rated payload is 2,200 lb.

The system knows which tires are on which corner. If in doubt, let some air out of one (or add air) and drive to see.

this does not appear to be accurate. i just had my tires rotate last week, and the sensors were not the same...it said my right front was low but it was actually my right rear. seems you do in fact need to reset the sensors after a tire/wheel rotation...

Sorry if this an FAQ.

If so, how?

Reset it, it will learn the new PSI on each of those tires in under 10 miles. No tools needed.

Fred