TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Prachatice, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Prachatice

Prachatice Member

Is it me or does the MS have extremely sensitive tire pressure monitor switches. If the temperature drops slightly (40s), and the tire pressure drops 1 or more pounds, I get a low pressure warning on all 4 tires until I drive around and the tires warm back up. Is there anyway to change at what pressure it throws a warning? 40 lbs of pressure in each tire is not low yet I get a warning until it goes back up to 41. Any suggestions?

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My door jamb says 45PSI cold, yours says 41?

3. Cebe

Cebe Member

Have you tried measuring "manually" what the pressure is? Is it actually 40psi when the warning goes off? Also, is it a recent car?

4. Prachatice

Prachatice Member

I'm not sure, don't have the car with me today but I thought it was 41 cold. Could be wrong but either way, even if it is 45 it shouldn't throw a warning at 40 should it? I will have this problem all winter long as soon as it cools off.

5. Cebe

Cebe Member

Just wondering if it's a problem with the sensors. My friends June 2016 70D is running into this, where the TPMS reading is different (lower) than the actual, where I've never had a problem at low temperatures with a Dec 2014 85.

6. Prachatice

Prachatice Member

Car is a month old. Refreshed MS90D. It gives the warning in all 4 tires at 40#s. I know the tpms does not give an accurate reading but the tires are not low. I've measured using a gauge and they are all in the low 40 range. My other cars, I only got a warning when pressure drops to around 28. Even in my i3 which runs higher pressures. Does no one else have this problem?

7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I'd expect it to say something if it wants 45 and you have 40...
    Check your driver's door jamb for the fill spec.