Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPO flat roof install success stories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a flat TPO roof on my house. Tesla just came out for my site inspection and said they can't install on TPO roofs because it voids the warranty, and they don't do ballast systems. Has anyone successfully worked around this problem? He said I might be able to get a roofing contractor to come out and work with Tesla to re-seal the roof. He also said I could try going with a different installer, but I really want Tesla.

Thanks!

IMO you shouldnt be "trying to work around this problem" with Tesla, you should be going with a contractor who is comfortable working on the type of roof you have. The likely reason you "really want tesla" is the price, but if a company is telling you "we dont install on that because we are not capable of doing it properly" (which is basically what they are saying), why would you want to try to push them to do so?

I have a flat TPO roof on my house. Tesla just came out for my site inspection and said they can't install on TPO roofs because it voids the warranty, and they don't do ballast systems. Has anyone successfully worked around this problem? He said I might be able to get a roofing contractor to come out and work with Tesla to re-seal the roof. He also said I could try going with a different installer, but I really want Tesla.

Thanks!
My son-in-law had Sunrun install on his flat roof here in AZ. They did a pretty good job.

Reactions: ShoeHo
Project Solar is trying to get through permitting with the city of Sunnyvale for a ballasted install on a flat roof. Slightly hilarious that the city wants to know the condition of a roof that was replaced 3 months ago (i.e. they have signed off on that permit).

PG&E not surprisingly is confused because they are only finding the decommissioned system in their records not the replacement one that Tesla (nee Solar City) installed about 8 years ago. The new system is an expansion that I'm doing ahead of NEM 3.0

IMO you shouldnt be "trying to work around this problem" with Tesla, you should be going with a contractor who is comfortable working on the type of roof you have. The likely reason you "really want tesla" is the price, but if a company is telling you "we dont install on that because we are not capable of doing it properly" (which is basically what they are saying), why would you want to try to push them to do so?
Tesla is half the cost of every other quote I've gotten, which is a big incentive. But you have a valid point and yes, I am looking into other options.

Tesla is half the cost of every other quote I've gotten, which is a big incentive. But you have a valid point and yes, I am looking into other options.
Also, the TESLA inspector who came out to my house suggested that I speak to customer service to see if there was a workaround like signing a waiver, or having a roofing contractor work with Tesla.

Also, I really wanted to go with Tesla because I admire the company and what they do. Not just for $$.