Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Day At Motorsport Ranch (Cresson, TX)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bollar

Disgruntled Member
May 1, 2013
Southlake, TX
How many people here are interested in doing a track day at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson? I have done this a few times with the Mercedes Club, but of course, it would be awesome to do with Teslas. If there are enough of us, the price would probably be < $200. The classes include instruction and as much as two hours of track time (charge permitting). There are RV parks in Granbury (about 10 miles south), so that's a potential charging source.

http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com

And... Thinking big, if we can get enough of us DFW / Austin folks to join, it could be a Tesla-only event.

Great! Now we're two!

This is an educational event and nothing is timed. Here's what to expect:

The full day program includes classroom instruction throughout the day, on-track drills to help you learn some basic skills before you drive at speed, in-car instruction, and of course several sessions at speed.

"At speed" at MSR could easily exceed 100 MPH on a long straight with the Model S.

Track_Layout_1_7.jpg

I've done it on the Roadster. There weren't the correct outlets at the track from what I could find. I could make it thru the day but had to charge at the lunch break. I ended up renting a RV spot at a place down the street (10 mile drive) to charge at 220.

I usually track the GT-R but occasionally the Roadster. Apex is a nice club and have smaller run groups so it's not as crowded. I also run The Driver's Edge but the groups are bigger and a 2 day event.

Yeah.

Last time I was there, I found one potential outlet and it looked like a NEMA 6-50. It would be tough to depend on if there were more than a couple of us. There are several RV parks in Granbury (10 miles away), and Burleson (18 miles away).

Heading back to DFW, the nearest J1772s are in Fort Worth on Hulen (20 miles away). And towards Austin, the nearest J1772s are in Hillsboro (49 miles away).

And if you have a CHAdeMO adapter... (oh, never mind).

I'm in Austin... I've always wanted to try this sort of thing.

My car is about to need new tires. Is it better to track on the old tires and then replace them, or race on the new tires?
My opinion (which anyone here is welcome to dispute) is old tires are better, unless the track is wet. In any event, the old tires must be still be street legal and not worn to the wear bars.

I would almost wish for a wet track -- it's a much more effective learning environment.

- - - Updated - - -

Between TMC and the Dallas Tesla group, I have seven maybes, so I'll talk to the Apex people and see what we can work out. The President at Apex said MSR was installing charging, and he would follow up with them to see exactly what that is and if it has happened yet.

I did not let this die. Will share with Tesla Owners Club of Houston - and I'll be happy to share with Austin & San Antonio groups, if someone can let me know where they are:

The Tesla Owners Club of North Texas is investigating the feasibility of offering a half-day on the track at Texas MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, Texas. Reserving the track and arranging instructors requires a significant commitment by the Club, so we want to ensure that we have sufficient interest before we complete discussions and set dates. We need thirty-nine participants to fill the track. We will invite members from other regional clubs to give us the best shot at making that commitment.

Please let us know your interest by completing the survey.

SurveyMonkey Powered Online Survey