Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track day at Thunderhill West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting my car corner balanced at The Driveway in San Jose, I immediately signed up for a track day to see if there are any improvements in the handling. After missing first session due to an incredibly long time at the gate, I use the 2nd session to warm up myself mentally and immediately notice how stable the car is in heavy brake zone. The turn in is also sharper, there is no longer a lazy sensation when making right turns. Even when taking it easy and down on power, I easily beat my previous best time of 1:27.78 in my first session of the day.

After the session I tried to use Electrify America in the nearby Walmart parking lot to DC charge the car. However it was broken and so I went over to EVgo across the freeway. For some unknown reason, the charger would cut off when the car is only charged to 73-74% with the chademo adapter.

The 3rd session of the day was cancelled due to track clean up so I trickle charged the car with track side 14-50 RV plug all the way to 100% for the 4th session of the day. On the very first hotlap, I was able to clock in a 1:24.77. The following hot lap was on pace for 1:24.3 before I ran into traffic and ended with 1:25.12. Lap 4 through 10 I was hovering around 1:29 to 1:30 taking care not to go full throttle to prevent the car from entering aggressive thermal protection mode.

All in all, I was able to shave 3 seconds from my previous best. I think the 3 main contributions are corner balance, MPP front camber arm vs stock arm, and tires (Nexen Sur4g vs NT01). I think the car should be able to do a low 1:23 once I am more familiar with the track. I highly recommend anyone installing coil overs to have the car also corner balanced.

Photos:
IMG_04649.jpg IMG_04716.jpg 20210206_145952.jpg

Very nice! Corner balancing is a very important, though often overlooked part of the vehicle setup. I've been contemplating buying a set of scales for a while now, I think it is time.

Also, if you don't mind, just for information in our weight thread, do you know the total weight of the car without you in it?

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
After getting my car corner balanced at The Driveway in San Jose, I immediately signed up for a track day to see if there are any improvements in the handling. After missing first session due to an incredibly long time at the gate, I use the 2nd session to warm up myself mentally and immediately notice how stable the car is in heavy brake zone. The turn in is also sharper, there is no longer a lazy sensation when making right turns. Even when taking it easy and down on power, I easily beat my previous best time of 1:27.78 in my first session of the day.

After the session I tried to use Electrify America in the nearby Walmart parking lot to DC charge the car. However it was broken and so I went over to EVgo across the freeway. For some unknown reason, the charger would cut off when the car is only charged to 73-74% with the chademo adapter.

The 3rd session of the day was cancelled due to track clean up so I trickle charged the car with track side 14-50 RV plug all the way to 100% for the 4th session of the day. On the very first hotlap, I was able to clock in a 1:24.77. The following hot lap was on pace for 1:24.3 before I ran into traffic and ended with 1:25.12. Lap 4 through 10 I was hovering around 1:29 to 1:30 taking care not to go full throttle to prevent the car from entering aggressive thermal protection mode.

All in all, I was able to shave 3 seconds from my previous best. I think the 3 main contributions are corner balance, MPP front camber arm vs stock arm, and tires (Nexen Sur4g vs NT01). I think the car should be able to do a low 1:23 once I am more familiar with the track. I highly recommend anyone installing coil overs to have the car also corner balanced.

Photos:
View attachment 636329 View attachment 636332 View attachment 636337
I ran Thunderhill East last weekend. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Williams Supercharger after the event. I have some notes from the day I have been wanting to post. I had the same exact experience with EA and EVgo chargers.

Do you know if the person that was airlifted is OK?

I ran Thunderhill East last weekend. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Williams Supercharger after the event. I have some notes from the day I have been wanting to post. I had the same exact experience with EA and EVgo chargers.

Do you know if the person that was airlifted is OK?

Yeah, I heard from a friend of the organizers that he should be OK.

Do you know if all evgo charger have issues charging over ~70% or just these two? I wonder if it's problem from charger or car side.

I didn't get a screen shot. I think it was around 49/51%
I have been considering the NT01 for my next set and am heavily leaning that way.

Just to be clear you are saying those NT01 are faster or slower than the Sur4g? Right now I'm running the Federal RSR, but want something stickier for the next set, that will still last 6 track days or so.

Last edited:
Federal RS-PRO thus far is the best track tire for the Model 3 I have driven on. Warms up instantly, decent wear, cheap. SUR4G was just okay. Hankook RS4 was way too slow to warm up and a brick in the cold/wet.

You should try the Sur4g again on a much wider wheel and higher psi. The first time I use them it was with 18x9.5 and thought they were just OK with too much sidewall flex. However, this time I am using 18x10.5 front and 18x11 rear with 38 cold psi and the difference is night and day. More grip than 255/40 r18 A052 and about equal grip if not more compared to 265/40 r18 supercar 3r on 18x9.5. Sur4g runs very wide and looks perfect on 10.5 and very light stretch on 11. It gave me the perfect balance for the car. Plus it retails for $700 a set which is hard to beat even by Rs-pro. Down side is they are too loud for daily and requires good amount of camber.

Reactions: Vines
Sur4g is faster. NT01 takes too long to warm up. By the time it warms up, the car is already pulling power or your SOC is below 70% and you lose performance. However, if you want a tire that wears well and has decent grip, NT01 is the choice.

For me I am looking for bang for the buck. The NT01 are 2x as expensive as the Federal RSR or the Sur4g, and sound like they aren't significantly better for our cars.

Sur4g is faster. NT01 takes too long to warm up. By the time it warms up, the car is already pulling power or your SOC is below 70% and you lose performance. However, if you want a tire that wears well and has decent grip, NT01 is the choice.

Yeah, if you're running 9.5 wheel, go with rs-pro, if you're running 10.5 or more wheel, go with Sur4g. Just remember Sur4g likes high PSI than most TW200 tires.
Well, I am running the 18x9.5, so from your experience sounds like I am on one of the ideal tires, when considering my wheels and the cost.

Like you say, Teslas don't have the endurance otherwise to do hot laps over and over so it makes sense to have a tire that warms up quickly.