Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track day in in a P-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Old-work have presented me with a Knockhill voucher. I'm considering doing an own car with instructor style experience. How bad an idea would this be in a P- (all be it with MPP coilovers and a set of eibach ARB's)? Are the stock brakes and 18"s OK for a bit of fun? No record attempts or anything.

Equally, its not advertised on their site, but is there a Tesla group regular meetup? Would be good to tag along on that instead and meet some people?

Old-work have presented me with a Knockhill voucher. I'm considering doing an own car with instructor style experience. How bad an idea would this be in a P- (all be it with MPP coilovers and a set of eibach ARB's)? Are the stock brakes and 18"s OK for a bit of fun? No record attempts or anything.

Equally, its not advertised on their site, but is there a Tesla group regular meetup? Would be good to tag along on that instead and meet some people?
stock brakes are a bit weak

there is videos on YT from guy doing the Nurburgring in stock M3P :)

I had the pleasure of bringing a 10 year old 911 back from Oulton Park on a flat-bed truck after snapping a torsion bar.

Perfectly happy flying round the track but we were forced off the track at the end across some grass and the back end dropped into a rabbit burrow which collapsed.

Stay off the grass and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Avendit
I do lots of track days, but not in my company Tesla. Nothing stopping you taking a stock car on track. Some thoughts...

* Your insurance doesn't cover it. You can get a days track insurance but do not expect it to be cheap. On trackdays, you are responsible for your own car: someone drives into you, tough. You hit someone else, tough on them and you
*Your road tyres won't last long. You want them at lower pressure than stock so when they heat up they're not over pressured. You'll get at least a day out of them but potentially not more on stock rubber and geo
* Your brake pads won't last long either, and you need to prepare for brake fade
* There's nowhere to charge it at a track (bar granny charger) so doubt you'd get anything like a day out of it, you will use way more power than on the road
* Most trackdays offer cheap instruction. MSV for example charge about £25 for 20 mins with a pro in passenger seat. This is WELL worth it if your first time
* Watch YouTube vids of the track to prep. The Driver 61 series on YouTube is well worth watching if you're new to track days
* Most trackdays will rent you a helmet which is mandatory. Personally I only wear cotton long sleeve top and trousers on a track in case of fire but in a hard top you are allowed anything so long as you have a helmet. Use thin soled trainers.
* Go on a road car day if you can, it's no fun being blue flagged constantly because a cup series has decided to get some practice in

Would love to try mine at my local circuit, Oulton, but given it's a company car that's not gonna happen. A lot of drivers cover plates with tape as it has been known for insurance companies to get upset if they find out you track cars