TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Track Day - Sandown Melbourne Australia 26th July

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Higgy, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Higgy

Higgy Member

I have booked on Sunday 26 July with Driver Dynamics.

There are two other Teslas attending that day - I know one owner but not who the other is.

I would like to discuss recharging options - hopefully he/she monitors this site. I have a borrowed 3-phase charger (thanks MP) and will also have my Tesla "trickle" charger so we should be able to share OK.

For those coming after (particularly the D drivers) I have an in principle agreement to install a permanent "Next Gen" Tesla charger (3-phase) at Sandown when these become available.

It would be possible to organise a Tesla track day if that was of interest.

Cheers
    David

2. Higgy

Higgy Member

Apparently the third Tesla was a mirage....so only two.

3. cdfleischmann

cdfleischmann Member

I'd love to, but my car wont grace me with its presence until November...

4. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I'd love the idea of a Tesla track day in the future.

5. Keiron

Keiron Member

Gudday Higgy,

I will have a look at my scheduling and see if I get over to Sandown. I am waiting on confirmation of a trip to Asia that'll make or break it. How close to the event time will they accept registrations?
    And yes I'll WASH mine before I turn up...:scared:

6. bb07

bb07 Member

Count me in for a future track day after my car arrives in Sept. It would be great to have a 3-phase charger permanently installed at the track.

7. Mark E

Mark E Member

Wakefield park (Goulburn NSW) has a HPWC - 40A I think - installed at the track.

8. Higgy

Higgy Member

I am sure they will accept registrations right up until they are sold out!

9. moemoke

moemoke Member

Hope to see heaps of photos and maybe a video or two of this event.
    Does the day involve timed laps or just practising racing lines?

If you want to try a different track my local car club (Gippsland Car Club)
    have a "members and associates" practice day at their Bryant Park hill climb coming up on Aug 29
    would be great to see a Tesla or two there, I could check out charging options if anyone interested!

10. oystero

oystero Member

Not timed. Classified as advance driving training

11. Higgy

Higgy Member

Cars are not allowed to race each other - or to time themselves ....

Not sure about hill climbing - I associate this with lots of mud?

12. bb07

bb07 Member

I think you'd have to have a death wish to throw a big heavy (and expensive) car like a Model S around the Bryant Park Hillclimb track. I've seen some massive crashes there cos the track is so tight. It's a great track for dedicated Hillclimb cars though!

Here is some footage from my Hyper Racer around Bryant Park from a few years back (warning volume is loud):
    Hyper Pro Racers at Bryant Park - April 2012 - YouTube

13. moemoke

moemoke Member

Higgy, no mud involved at Bryant Park, unless you run off the track in winter, calling it a hill climb
    is a bit of a misnomer, solo sprint racing would be a better name, it's an undulating road that people
    compete against the clock for about 3/4's of a lap, unlike bb07's vid they don't do full laps and only
    one car at a time, speeds can get very high at this track is much more open than the old track in Morwell.

bb07, your Hyper looks like fun, probably more of a death wish than running a Tesla around there
    what size motor does it have?

there have been some good prangs there and not all in public view, a new Nissan Skyline GTR got written off
    when the Nissan mechanic lost it during a photo shoot!

14. Higgy

Higgy Member

The track day was a little frustrating. The format was a 20 min session each hour – and the conditions varied between sun, rain and hail so it was important to get a feel for the track on the first lap of each session.

So around once, get a good handle on the conditions - give it the boot - then you get a lap, maybe two if you are lucky – the track is 3.2 km with two fast straights.

If the conditions had been dry I would have been a lot happier as the familiarization lap would not have been necessary.

Once the limiter kicks in you can take it easy till it goes - but sinking the boot almost instantly brings it back so you really need to take a couple of slow laps – something that I didn’t work out until late in the day and probably lacked the discipline in any case (its hard being passed by an MX5)

I used 27% of charge (15 kWh) in my last session – 32.1 km. I am not sure how this was calculated but as 15 kWh is not 27% of 85kWh, so assume this is 27% of (85 kWh - (reserve)- (bricking protection)?

The following is a screen shot from VT:

screen dump.png

So, it was worthwhile doing but I will not need to do this again in the Tesla. I hate to say this but my RX8 was a lot more fun on this track.

I would recommend that this is worth doing but go in with a strategy and stick to it!

Cheers
    David

15. tkizzy

tkizzy Member

Cool kart video nice driving. Glad to hear about a track day for Teslas happening somewhere else. Had a blast at Laguna Seca recently.

And I thought Australians only drove these:
    2008%20Holden%20Ute.jpg

16. baillies

baillies Member

Did you set regen to low? It adds heat to the battery which is not helpful on a track.

17. Higgy

Higgy Member

Good point - and no I didn't.... yes this obviously would have helped.

18. bb07

bb07 Member

Hey moemoke, the hyper racers have a Yamaha WR450 (450cc) dirt bike engine. The whole car weighs 180kg so good power to weight ratio