Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Day - Sandown Melbourne Australia 26th July

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have booked on Sunday 26 July with Driver Dynamics.

There are two other Teslas attending that day - I know one owner but not who the other is.

I would like to discuss recharging options - hopefully he/she monitors this site. I have a borrowed 3-phase charger (thanks MP) and will also have my Tesla "trickle" charger so we should be able to share OK.

For those coming after (particularly the D drivers) I have an in principle agreement to install a permanent "Next Gen" Tesla charger (3-phase) at Sandown when these become available.

It would be possible to organise a Tesla track day if that was of interest.

Cheers
David

There are two other Teslas attending that day - I know one owner but not who the other is.

I would like to discuss recharging options - hopefully he/she monitors this site. I have a borrowed 3-phase charger (thanks MP) and will also have my Tesla "trickle" charger so we should be able to share OK.

For those coming after (particularly the D drivers) I have an in principle agreement to install a permanent "Next Gen" Tesla charger (3-phase) at Sandown when these become available.

Cheers
David

I'd love to, but my car wont grace me with its presence until November...

Gudday Higgy,

I will have a look at my scheduling and see if I get over to Sandown. I am waiting on confirmation of a trip to Asia that'll make or break it. How close to the event time will they accept registrations?
And yes I'll WASH mine before I turn up...:scared:

Cheers
David

Count me in for a future track day after my car arrives in Sept. It would be great to have a 3-phase charger permanently installed at the track.

Hope to see heaps of photos and maybe a video or two of this event.
Does the day involve timed laps or just practising racing lines?

If you want to try a different track my local car club (Gippsland Car Club)
have a "members and associates" practice day at their Bryant Park hill climb coming up on Aug 29
would be great to see a Tesla or two there, I could check out charging options if anyone interested!

have a "members and associates" practice day at their Bryant Park hill climb coming up on Aug 29
would be great to see a Tesla or two there, I could check out charging options if anyone interested!

Not timed. Classified as advance driving training

I think you'd have to have a death wish to throw a big heavy (and expensive) car like a Model S around the Bryant Park Hillclimb track. I've seen some massive crashes there cos the track is so tight. It's a great track for dedicated Hillclimb cars though!

Here is some footage from my Hyper Racer around Bryant Park from a few years back (warning volume is loud):
Hyper Pro Racers at Bryant Park - April 2012 - YouTube

Higgy, no mud involved at Bryant Park, unless you run off the track in winter, calling it a hill climb
is a bit of a misnomer, solo sprint racing would be a better name, it's an undulating road that people
compete against the clock for about 3/4's of a lap, unlike bb07's vid they don't do full laps and only
one car at a time, speeds can get very high at this track is much more open than the old track in Morwell.

bb07, your Hyper looks like fun, probably more of a death wish than running a Tesla around there
what size motor does it have?

there have been some good prangs there and not all in public view, a new Nissan Skyline GTR got written off
when the Nissan mechanic lost it during a photo shoot!

The track day was a little frustrating. The format was a 20 min session each hour – and the conditions varied between sun, rain and hail so it was important to get a feel for the track on the first lap of each session.

So around once, get a good handle on the conditions - give it the boot - then you get a lap, maybe two if you are lucky – the track is 3.2 km with two fast straights.

If the conditions had been dry I would have been a lot happier as the familiarization lap would not have been necessary.

Once the limiter kicks in you can take it easy till it goes - but sinking the boot almost instantly brings it back so you really need to take a couple of slow laps – something that I didn’t work out until late in the day and probably lacked the discipline in any case (its hard being passed by an MX5)

I used 27% of charge (15 kWh) in my last session – 32.1 km. I am not sure how this was calculated but as 15 kWh is not 27% of 85kWh, so assume this is 27% of (85 kWh - (reserve)- (bricking protection)?

The following is a screen shot from VT:

screen dump.png

So, it was worthwhile doing but I will not need to do this again in the Tesla. I hate to say this but my RX8 was a lot more fun on this track.

I would recommend that this is worth doing but go in with a strategy and stick to it!

Cheers
David