TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Track Day @ Toronto Motorsports Park September 30th 2013

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mnx, Sep 12, 2013.

1. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

#1 mnx, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    What: Track Day aka Open Lapping aka the most fun you can have on 4 wheels
    When: Monday September 30th 9am -5pm
    Where: Toronto Motorsports Park (1040 Kohler Rd, Cayuga, ON N0A 1E0, Canada)
    Who: You!

Cost: 170$ for just lapping, $245 for Lapping + Instruction.

Charging?: There is a 70A j1772 there for charging. I had planned to have a 14-50 installed as well, but it is not installed yet. Hopefully it will be installed before the 30th.

Toronto Motorsports Park - Road Course
    OR Call 1-866-824-RACE (7223)

Hope to see you there!

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or send me an e-mail.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Open lapping... nice! $170... nice!

Wish it wasn't so far from here.

3. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

CS90 - priceless!

Thanks for organizing mnx, see you there.

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

What does it cost for a day of lapping @ Shannonville or Calaboogie?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Depends. The expensive one is Calabogie - a full CMP Lapping day is $450 tax in. A two hour evening session in a private group I go with costs $130. Mind you, it's a helluva track. Beautiful forest setting and modern facilities, 5 km of beautiful asphalt, 20 corners, lots of elevation changes and a lot of the corners are blind.

Shannonville is pretty rustic, and correspondingly cheaper. It's flat as a board, no trees, pavement is more a bit rough (I hear they just repaved all the corners!), rustic facilities, but a fun technical track.

6. dj905

dj905 Member

I'm planning to be there... looking forward to it.

7. dj905

dj905 Member

Do I need, or should I have a helmet? ( I don't own one)

8. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Only if you're driving a convertible.

9. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It's going to a be a blast!

Unfortunately the 14-50 hasn't been installed yet so the 4 of us will be sharing the CS-90. I imagine djp will be able to get the most laps in if we all spend the same amount of time plugged in.

10. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

I'm doing a Range charge tonight so I can arrive close to 80% full. We can rotate on the CS90 based on who has the lowest SOC. It's a good idea to keep the packs close to full to make the power draw easier on them, lapping burns a lot of electrons!

11. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'll be doing a range charge as well.

I did some math the other night, and the results were rather disappointing. Based on my previous lapping experience there without charging and factoring in 2 hours charging on the CS90, I figure I'll get <30 laps in tomorrow. Kinda disappointing, perhaps I should be asking Elon for a supercharger there. (Then you'll have the CS90 all to yourself Dave!)

12. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Thanks for organizing Matt, that was a fantastic day! The mixed weather made for interesting conditions. The morning rain turned the track into a skid pad while the afternoon sunny & dry. It was my first time lapping in the rain and TMP was the perfect place to do it - nothing but grass to hit if (or when) you spin out! The slower speeds also meant no thermal limits and more time to play.

In the afternoon I found I could only do 3-4 laps before getting kicked out of Performance mode. Suprisingly I was limited by the battery temperature rather than motor, which was the problem at Shannonville. At least the CS90 did a quick cool-down and the charger rotation worked well across the four cars.

Let's line it up again in the spring!

13. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

#13 mnx, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    It's going to be a long winter. :)

Seriously though it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to go back. It'd be nice if Tesla started putting superchargers at tracks. (I nominate TMP to be the first one). I think it would be good marketing for the motorsports crowd. Every time I go there people are checking out the car, there are always blown away.

A few pics from today.

Track Day at TMP 019.jpg
    Yes this is not a Tesla, but he's a friend of mine who came along so his pic got in here... :)
    Track Day at TMP 034.jpg
    Sam in his Black P85.
    Track Day at TMP 037.jpg
    David in his Blue P85.
    Track Day at TMP 119.jpg
    Sam nearly lifting a wheel with his family on board. :)
    Track Day at TMP 104.jpg
    Dave giving a ride in his roadster to Tesla's latest fan! (Notice the Tesla grins and the track drying out).

And a video of a few laps when the track was soaking wet:
    Lapping at TMP - YouTube

14. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Nice pics! You also got Instagramed by the Editor-In-Chief of AutoGuide.

Instagram

15. dj905

dj905 Member

Thanks again to Matt for organizing this. It was my first time out on a track, and I loved it! The instructors were all really impressed with the Model S, which made it even better. One of the instructors said that it was one of the best cars that he has ever driven.

I made it back to Georgetown with about 30km to spare... I should have gone for a couple of more laps before leaving ;-)

Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.

David

16. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

Nice pics. Looks like fun but I am nervous to try it out. Is it true your insurance is not valid at the track?

17. dj905

dj905 Member

The event we attended today is called Advanced Driver Training. It is not racing, and the cars aren't timed. I didn't explicitly check, but I don't see why my insurance wouldn't be valid for this kind of event. It seemed quite safe, particularly at the Toronto Motorsports venue.

David

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Typically if there is instruction, it's considered driver training and your insurance is valid. If it's just a lapping day then you are not covered.