Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Day with the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my tyres are due for changing so i'm going to head to a track to given them a send off, I figure the Michellin's will marble up.

I don't have track mode sadly cause its a LR AWD with Acceleration Boost but anyone know how the AWD works close to the limit? I assume the traction control will kick in and give it understeer given the car weight.

I figure i'll create a new driver profile with all the Full Self Drive stuff turned off (autosteer beta, etc) and just be a bit gentler than normal, i'm guessing the brakes aren't going to be the best after a few hot laps.

In good news there is a 11kw AC charger across the road from the track (Sandown in Melb). I use to go often to Phillip Island but charging logistics is tricky down there.

Reactions: AussieOwner
I have a different perspective on a track day, particularly if it's the first time you're going to be taking a car on there. Put the best possible tyres you can on the car before you hit the track. You're going to be aiming to be fast and smooth, I can't see how you'll marble up the Michelins unless you're brutal on them with the nannies turned off. You'll likely run out of brakes before you cook the Michelins, at which point you'll want the best possible tyres on there, not the old ragged out set.

In my experience I'll rarely do more than 60kms all up on a track day including warm up and cool down laps, the way your day is managed may be different. Even at speed it's not that much that distance, and worth doing on good rubber to get the most out of the day.

One thing to note with a Tesla on a track day mingling with ICE cars is NOT to lift dramatically after the checkered flag across the start finish line. The regen kicks in whilst all of the ICE cars are still running at pace on the straight to start their cool down, and it has resulted in some near misses as the ICE drivers aren't expecting someone to be slowing down so dramatically on the straight.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic and Iain
Yeah i'm expecting the brakes to be the first thing to go and yeah i'll disable the regen for the cool-down lap.
I assume the Model 3 doesn't have a battery overheat issue, it's meant to be 33 degrees.

One limitation to the day is probably going to be the front seats given the lack of side support so i'm probably not going to attack the corners as much. Never really did understand why Tesla does quick cars without the proper seats like the Euro's or at least have a sport seat option on the Model 3. Actually I probably should check headroom with the helmet as well.

Technically it's not on a public road so you could have fun and do a smart summon around the track.

One limitation to the day is probably going to be the front seats given the lack of side support so i'm probably not going to attack the corners as much. Never really did understand why Tesla does quick cars without the proper seats like the Euro's or at least have a sport seat option on the Model 3. Actually I probably should check headroom with the helmet as well.
Because they are from the US and only have a drag strip in mind? I agree. Not sure I'd turn off regen braking, I've learned to have my foot on the pedal 2-5% all the time anyway unless braking. That does the same thing. Especially with a LR with small brakes. I'd not be turning regen off at all. Historically, with my ICE I used to ruin a set of tyres on a track day, maybe I did more laps?

Yeah my tires in my old ICE used to be pretty stuffed by the end of a track day (the current tyres should be semi-slicks by the end of the day).

Thinking about it, i'll probably leave the regen on, cause it's how I drive now and if I switch it off i'll probably enter a corner expecting it to kick in and it won't.

I think the funny thing is going to be the car scrutineering on the day. I've already filled out the form and put N/A next to most fields.

Because they are from the US and only have a drag strip in mind? I agree. Not sure I'd turn off regen braking, I've learned to have my foot on the pedal 2-5% all the time anyway unless braking. That does the same thing. Especially with a LR with small brakes. I'd not be turning regen off at all. Historically, with my ICE I used to ruin a set of tyres on a track day, maybe I did more laps?

I learned that doing track days on road tyres was very expensive, a set of semi slicks is well worth the investment. They last for a few track days and work a hell of a lot better. Also, the lighter the car the cheaper it is to run! I used to have a Caterham. Plenty of people I know have ruined road tyres in half a day.

I learned that doing track days on road tyres was very expensive, a set of semi slicks is well worth the investment. They last for a few track days and work a hell of a lot better. Also, the lighter the car the cheaper it is to run! I used to have a Caterham. Plenty of people I know have ruined road tyres in half a day.
I'll be honest, I kind of expect this will be the case, and if the M3P likes track days, a set of semi slicks and a set of 4 wheels is on the cards. The next consideration should I choose to go down that path is to work out which tyres get the new smaller diameter wheels. Considering how it feels on the road, I wonder if 19" would be better suited for track tyres to give it a little more grip?

I'll be honest, I kind of expect this will be the case, and if the M3P likes track days, a set of semi slicks and a set of 4 wheels is on the cards. The next consideration should I choose to go down that path is to work out which tyres get the new smaller diameter wheels. Considering how it feels on the road, I wonder if 19" would be better suited for track tyres to give it a little more grip?

yeah I am worried about the ultra low profile tyres & also the standard brakes .. I will probably buy a second set of wheels with cup 2 tyres and (may be get upgraded brake kit) once I have done a few track days..

yeah I am worried about the ultra low profile tyres & also the standard brakes .. I will probably buy a second set of wheels with cup 2 tyres and (may be get upgraded brake kit) once I have done a few track days..
A part of me wants 19s for the road... only because these 20s are so damn easy to scrape. 2 wheels with kerb rash in a month of ownership (1 for me and 1 the other half) and neither from being really stupid. You only have to breath near a kerb and they are scraped. The rims stick out so much

I figure i'll create a new driver profile with all the Full Self Drive stuff turned off (autosteer beta, etc) and just be a bit gentler than normal, i'm guessing the brakes aren't going to be the best after a few hot laps.
Also disable (as others noted) the various "nanny" stuff like AEB, set regen to min, and steering on hard (heavy? .. forgot what they call it in the UI). And post some pics here!!! :)

Reactions: race4life81

Look at tyres like the Nankang AR-1 and Yokohama Advan A048. I seriously think if you get into track days, a track car with a RWD ICE car and manual gearbox is where its at though. You are out there for fun, not settings lap times.

Reactions: race4life81
Look at tyres like the Nankang AR-1 and Yokohama Advan A048. I seriously think if you get into track days, a track car with a RWD ICE car and manual gearbox is where its at though. You are out there for fun, not settings lap times.
Couldn't agree more. That's why I have a Model 3 and a BRZ.
Semi slicks like AR-1 and A048 have a very short shelf life though. If you don't track a lot, the rubber goes off just sitting in the garage.. and after a while, they are not any better than something like PS4S and A08R

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Also disable (as others noted) the various "nanny" stuff like AEB, set regen to min, and steering on hard (heavy? .. forgot what they call it in the UI). And post some pics here!!! :)
Why regen to minimum? Surely that will just lean harder on your brakes? I would have thought using the motors to slow you would take work from the brakes. I'd run maximum regen in track mode. Unless there is a reason I shouldn't?