Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

Given the new souped up trackmode on the M3P I was toying with the idea of a track day (I am a complete novice). The nearest circuit to me is Oulton Park which is awesome apart from the fact that there is zero charging infrastructure so I suspect I would pay for a whole day, blitz the battery in an hour and then have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest supercharger and back... which would suck.

Anyway I would be interested to hear if any of you have had successful track day experiences in other locations.

Also anyone that wants to join me at Oulton Park some day could go an hassle them to put some chargers in on their contact us page here.

Contact MSV - Race Events | Corporate Events | Trade Sites | Driving Experiences

Probably wont take any notice but cant do any harm.

Dunsfold would be my closest but also again there are a lack of chargers anywhere close by.
Would be interested to know if anyone has been on a track day, how long the battery lasts and if there are any tracks with superchargers close by!

Yeah I love that Tesla Driver video and I would happily go and do that but it seems like most tracks want to sell you a whole day for 200-300 quid and it seems like such a waste to go for 30 minutes and then go home. I would be perfectly happy to drive for a bit and charge for a bit through the day. (while all the fossil cars caught up)

Brands Hatch is do-able. Superchargers at Bluewater are about 15 mins away. You'd use approx. 2.5% charge per lap on the Indy circuit so work out for yourself how many laps you could do before having to charge. Brands is also a really good track for the Model 3. Not too fast, not too much heavy braking. You might be able to do it with the standard brake pads.

Thruxton has a fast charger on site. It's a longer track though so you'll be using more charge per lap and it's not as well suited to the Model 3. Fun track though and the factory brakes would be OK.

Abingdon is an airfield circuit near Oxford. It's got Superchargers fairly close and a fast charger 4 minutes down the road. It's a great track to learn at but you will probably need to upgrade your brake pads and fluid as it can be hard on brakes. Next trackday there is on March 27th and there's already a few M3Ps booked in! Here's the organiser if you want to join in. 27 March 2020: Abingdon track day

It's inevitable at any track you won't be able to do as many laps as an ICE could. This is the price we pay for being early adopters.
None of the tracks are going to install Superchargers anytime soon. Our best bet in the short to medium term is to hope that more of them install fast chargers on site or at least a few destination chargers in the pits.

The more of us turning up at trackdays and being seen driving our Teslas on track, the more they will take notice. But remember, they are in it to make money so if they don't see a good enough ROI they won't consider it.

Quite alot of pits will have blue Anderson plugs so 7kw on your standard charger. I know it's not alot, but you'd be surprised how often Ice cars have to stop to cool brakes etc. I've never done anymore than 2-3 hours driving on a track day. £100 of Fuel into the bargain. Shame my Model S not suitable for track days.

Quite alot of pits will have blue Anderson plugs so 7kw on your standard charger. I know it's not alot, but you'd be surprised how often Ice cars have to stop to cool brakes etc. I've never done anymore than 2-3 hours driving on a track day. £100 of Fuel into the bargain. Shame my Model S not suitable for track days.
I really don't think it's worth the effort of getting the cable out of the boot. 1 hour's 7kW charging will give you about 3 laps on the Brands Indy circuit. You're better off scouting the local DC chargers and working out the best charging strategy for your day than mucking around with slow AC charging.