Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode - a day with HOD @ Laguna - my personal observations…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
super fun trying to figure out what to do with these errors @ the track - for those that haven't seen these errors - when they occur they drop the car out of track mode - my Model 3 took 30 minutes off track to recover from all these issues.
I've never seen these errors on track myself, which is why I'd suggest you may have something wrong with your car.

Also, I'm not a proponent of high tyre pressures generally, but your pressures seem a little low for the track.

42 psi is the street pressures…I got to 50 psi during the 1st session - I bleed them down to 38 psi "hot" when I came in from 1st session in prep. for session #2…

you consider 38 psi to be "low" for the track? to maximize grip you normally run pressures pretty low at the track - 38 psi is actually pretty high- but I've spoken with other's who have tracked the model 3 and any lower and you lose shoulder integrity on the low profile sports tires…

anyone have any actual experience to share as to proper hot tire pressures for the Model 3 at the track.

I've never seen these errors on track myself, which is why I'd suggest you may have something wrong with your car.

I spoke with people who should know (I can't say more) while at the track - and they suggest these errors are a known/common issues but Tesla isn't focusing on the 3 and track mode as the future lies elsewhere for a more appropriate track drive train and overall vehicle…but hey what do I know I'm just some guy on the internet.

42 psi is the street pressures…I got to 50 psi during the 1st session - I bleed them down to 38 psi "hot" when I came in from 1st session in prep. for session #2…

you consider 38 psi to be "low" for the track? to maximize grip you normally run pressures pretty low at the track - 38 psi is actually pretty high- but I've spoken with other's who have tracked the model 3 and any lower and you lose shoulder integrity on the low profile sports tires…

anyone have any actual experience to share as to proper hot tire pressures for the Model 3 at the track.

Yes, me for a start.

How much camber have you got on the front & rear?

38 hot is too low for a Model 3 IMO. But I'll let others chip in because it seems you don't think I have enough experience. Maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, me for a start.

How much camber have you got on the front & rear?

38 hot is too low for a Model 3 IMO. But I'll let others chip in because it seems you don't think I have enough experience. Maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong.

I run 34 hot on RE71R (with susp, and camber etc) and it has worked out great so far. I believe others here run nearly the same.

The problem you encountered with TrackMode is abnormal. Many of us track our 3 at Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow without any issues from TrackMode.

Would be beneficial for the community to learn from your experience if you care to share more.

Can’t argue about the endurance and lack of supercharging at the track. None the less, still run to rip a few fast lap and passing P cars while doing so.

Reactions: dortor4ev
tire pressures are on screen in post #99 - pressures were coming up - but I aborted the session by lap #3 dues to the software faults - note the right rear was at 38 psi in the pics - right rear is common heavily loaded at thunderhill so it comes up faster

• automatic forward braking disabled
  • regenerative braking disabled
  • automatic brake hold disabled
  • stability control disabled (Drive with caution)
  • adaptive cruise control disable (not needed/used on track)
  • autopilot lane keeping disabled (not needed/used on track)
  • rear facing backup camera offline
Never seen these errors in my M3P at ORP, PIR, or the Ridge.

I've shredded two sets of PS4S though.

Just some more data.

Kind of unrelated, but related question. I am just going over tires at tirerack. It appears the Model 3 has very limited tire options in 18s for the track. Many tires offered are too small, to keep close to stock diameter. You are basically stuck with Bridgestone RE71 or Federal tires. Anyone else have recommendation that are close to the stock diameter? Around 26-26.5

OP, you probably need to bring your car in for a scan. I spoke to a tesla tech. Every message that comes on and goes away do generate a log, Tesla will be able to see it. I had issues similar to that on my Model X, they found a ton of error codes from failed updates

Last edited:
NO CAR at thunderhill is in the right gear to exit turn #11 - 2nd is too high, and 3rd is too luggy - you turn in and apply full throttle and let the rev's come up and build power as your straigthen out the S's in the hopes of rocketing out of 13 building speed to the big braking zone into 14…did I say no car? . . . the Model 3! full torque NOW out of turn #11 - NO PROBLEM - here let me deliver 450 HP and 472 ft/lb of AWD torque RIGHT NOW in the next 10 milli secs with milli-sec level traction and stability control - you want to leave that GT3 that's on your butt coming out of 11 - DONE! - he'll have to shift if he's in 2nd, and he has no torque if he's in 3rd - either way you've left him behind - cause ya'know you have all the power NOW!

excellent writing. a joy to read. hope you fix the glitches to do more of this

@dortor4ev I've done 20 plus track days running almost every session with my Model 3 and the only time that I saw that many warning at once was when I was sliding back and forth for several seconds. As you mention, after the car reset, everything is back to normal. I finished the following sessions good as new.

Your analysis is spot on for Model 3 as a track car and I understand the hesitation to use it on track when you have a GT3. However, with proper charging, it's still very fun to drive.

I think there is a chademo charger in the Walmart plaza next to Thill, that's probably your best chance for fast charging between sessions.

Reactions: dortor4ev
there are now 3 chademo chargers in willows! yeah! one a walmart and two at black bear diner!

@dortor4ev Thanks for all the great information in this thread! I just bought a Model 3 Performance last month, after somebody rear-ended my BMW M4 and State Farm declared it a total loss.

I used to regularly take my M4 to ThunderHill and Laguna Seca (mainly with HoD) and had been wondered if it was practical to take the Tesla to the track.