TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Track Mode" Exclusive to $5k Performance Package? Or all Performance TM3 will receive?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by stevesnow27, Aug 6, 2018.

1. stevesnow27

stevesnow27 Member

I take delivery of my P3D tomorrow at 10AM in Owings Mills, MD

I didn't add Performance Package because when I ordered it, they said the brakes aren't any better, The calipers are just painted red. Now obviously they are bigger and better brakes. If I had known this I would have added it. I didn't want the 20 inch wheels. I already bought 19s with Bridgestone RE-71Rs (stickier).

Do we think all Performance Model 3's will receive "Track Mode"? I hope so. This is another thing I would wish to have for auto-x.

I really hope that Tesla realizes that "Track Mode" can be a great selling feature for for $10k upgrade for Performance because currently it is ONLY more HP/TQ. Although I understand that using "Track Mode" with the 18 inch All-Seasons that the base Performance comes with probably won't be that fun.

2. RKDauto

RKDauto Member

I don't know the answer, but I would lean towards the Telsa Model 3 Performance without the Performance package being given the Track Mode too. You can always swap out the tires, suspension coils, and brakes yourself so I don't see any excuse for not allowing Track mode for non Performance package machines. Time will tell. I expect some more benefits to the Tesla Model 3 Performance model over the AWD as time goes on (e.g., the "free" Supercharger as long as you own the car benefit, possibly being rated for towing, more power being uncorked in the future either through a Ludicrous mode or otherwise)

3. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

From your lips to Elon's ears please ;)

• Funny x 1
  4. pkodali

pkodali Member

I believe the correct phrasing is from your lips to Elon's Twitter

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. joshk6656

joshk6656 Member

Wouldn't it actually be your fingers to Elon's Twitter?

6. pkodali

pkodali Member

Voice dictation :)

7. stevesnow27

stevesnow27 Member

haha... yeah we need to create a loud noise that Elon can hear on the internet if it isn't given to the Base Performance versions...

As Brick Tamland from Anchorman put it...... "LOUD NOISES!!! "

8. UtahIsRad

UtahIsRad Member

Honestly, track mode should be a setting on ALL Model 3's.

Yes, a P will always be faster as it should, but mostly, it's about letting the traction control systems relax so you can push the car to 10/10's in and out of corners. #ELON, Please don't make track mode only for the more affluent among us. Even the RWD is a legit track car for the cost of upgrading the brakes, suspension, and tires. Kinda how Porsche created the weekend club racing scene, the Model 3 could be the new club race car and that would win over a large group of driving enthusiasts. Way cheaper than tracking an ICE by not having an ICE to worry about. Personally, I plan to occasionally track my AWD non-P and it would be nice to not have to figure out how to defeated the safety systems of the car ;)

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  9. animorph

animorph Active Member

No reason the Track Mode couldn't come to AWD also, I think.

ETA: RWD has no front motor to balance the car by adjusting front/rear power. I don't think it would completely work with RWD, beyond loosening the slip conditions.

10. RKDauto

RKDauto Member

Realistically, the "Track Mode" will remain a Performance model exclusive based upon history and the fact you are paying Tesla more money for support. The extra money you pay goes beyond just hardware, it also has future support factored in. Also, I am not sure if the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is different for the Performance model or not. It would be interesting to confirm if the VDC is different in the Performance model.

• Like x 2
  11. Grzesiak

Grzesiak Member

The issue with that is the current Track Mode doesn't "relax" the traction control it completely adjusts the regenerative braking to increase the shift from the rear to the front of the car. Without a motor in the front it doesn't seem likely that a RWD would be able to enable Track Mode.

"To understand what this new mode does, you need to forget most of what you know about typical stability and traction control systems. "Our Track Mode doesn't disable features, it adds them," Michael Neumeyer, Manager of Chassis Controls, told me."

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

12. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

This post is from another thread. It's pertinent, so I figured I'd share it here.

• Informative x 1
  13. stevesnow27

stevesnow27 Member

I honestly think that giving it to all base and performance package model 3s makes the most sense. It is possible they will give it to the non-P Dual Motor but id say there is a .01% chance.

I'd say 95% chance the base performance version gets the track mode.

• Like x 2
  14. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

It's only for the 5k package due to the intense use of brakes, Elon mentioned this months ago.

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Elon's Twitter is too busy right now stirring up sugar, trolling the shorts to pay attention. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  16. Powered By Jay

Could you provide a link or screenshot of this?

• Like x 1
  17. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

I hope your wrong, but logic tells me your right.

18. Thud

Thud Member

1) There was no $5k package months ago

2) Track mode makes aggressive use of regen, not brakes (if anything, Track Mode would reduce the usage of brakes)

• Like x 3
  19. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

Yea idk man I'm just going off what I read, you can justify it however you want. The same way i was hoping they would give me the performance calipers - the red paint for free too a month ago too lol.

• Funny x 1
  20. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Citation, please. Others have reported confirming the opposite with Tesla directly.

• Like x 2