Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Track Mode" Exclusive to $5k Performance Package? Or all Performance TM3 will receive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take delivery of my P3D tomorrow at 10AM in Owings Mills, MD

I didn't add Performance Package because when I ordered it, they said the brakes aren't any better, The calipers are just painted red. Now obviously they are bigger and better brakes. If I had known this I would have added it. I didn't want the 20 inch wheels. I already bought 19s with Bridgestone RE-71Rs (stickier).

Do we think all Performance Model 3's will receive "Track Mode"? I hope so. This is another thing I would wish to have for auto-x.

I really hope that Tesla realizes that "Track Mode" can be a great selling feature for for $10k upgrade for Performance because currently it is ONLY more HP/TQ. Although I understand that using "Track Mode" with the 18 inch All-Seasons that the base Performance comes with probably won't be that fun.

I don't know the answer, but I would lean towards the Telsa Model 3 Performance without the Performance package being given the Track Mode too. You can always swap out the tires, suspension coils, and brakes yourself so I don't see any excuse for not allowing Track mode for non Performance package machines. Time will tell. I expect some more benefits to the Tesla Model 3 Performance model over the AWD as time goes on (e.g., the "free" Supercharger as long as you own the car benefit, possibly being rated for towing, more power being uncorked in the future either through a Ludicrous mode or otherwise)

Honestly, track mode should be a setting on ALL Model 3's.

Yes, a P will always be faster as it should, but mostly, it's about letting the traction control systems relax so you can push the car to 10/10's in and out of corners. #ELON, Please don't make track mode only for the more affluent among us. Even the RWD is a legit track car for the cost of upgrading the brakes, suspension, and tires. Kinda how Porsche created the weekend club racing scene, the Model 3 could be the new club race car and that would win over a large group of driving enthusiasts. Way cheaper than tracking an ICE by not having an ICE to worry about. Personally, I plan to occasionally track my AWD non-P and it would be nice to not have to figure out how to defeated the safety systems of the car ;)

Realistically, the "Track Mode" will remain a Performance model exclusive based upon history and the fact you are paying Tesla more money for support. The extra money you pay goes beyond just hardware, it also has future support factored in. Also, I am not sure if the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is different for the Performance model or not. It would be interesting to confirm if the VDC is different in the Performance model.

Honestly, track mode should be a setting on ALL Model 3's.

Yes, a P will always be faster as it should, but mostly, it's about letting the traction control systems relax so you can push the car to 10/10's in and out of corners. #ELON, Please don't make track mode only for the more affluent among us. Even the RWD is a legit track car for the cost of upgrading the brakes, suspension, and tires. Kinda how Porsche created the weekend club racing scene, the Model 3 could be the new club race car and that would win over a large group of driving enthusiasts. Way cheaper than tracking an ICE by not having an ICE to worry about. Personally, I plan to occasionally track my AWD non-P and it would be nice to not have to figure out how to defeated the safety systems of the car ;)

The issue with that is the current Track Mode doesn't "relax" the traction control it completely adjusts the regenerative braking to increase the shift from the rear to the front of the car. Without a motor in the front it doesn't seem likely that a RWD would be able to enable Track Mode.

"To understand what this new mode does, you need to forget most of what you know about typical stability and traction control systems. "Our Track Mode doesn't disable features, it adds them," Michael Neumeyer, Manager of Chassis Controls, told me."

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

I called with some questions the other day. One question I asked was about track mode for the performance without performance upgrades. The phone answer assured me vehemently that all performance model 3s with or without performance upgrades would get track mode when it is released. I have very little confidence in this statement, but the phone rep had a lot of confidence.

This post is from another thread. It's pertinent, so I figured I'd share it here.

• Informative
Reactions: roguenode