Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode exclusive to P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Twitter account says that track mode is exclusive to P3D+.

So what if someone wanted to put that $5000 toward their own track setup, rather than buy Tesla's? Elon said himself that a staggered wheel setup would probably help get the 0-60 time down to low 3's. All of the performance upgrades can be added after the fact without getting too invasive. I could add everything in my garage, save for the software update.
Also, it says "features exclusive to performance" on the base P3D. The only defined software difference was the top speed. This led me to believe that track mode would be offered on the P3D and the P3D+. It's frustrating that they would split the performance model 3's into 2 sub groups based essentially on tires and brakes. Track mode was for tinkering and modding to get the best performance, but only if you buy their setup? It just seems like a dumb spot to draw the line to me. I'm spending over $70,000 on a performance model with the intention of building my own track setup over time, but I don't get track mode because I didn't buy their tires and brakes. Track mode should be exclusive to P3D, not the performance tire package.

Its sort of why I ordered the P3D+ to begin with. I figured that if Tesla ever provided some sort of performance upgrade (ludicrous+?) it would only be for P3D+ models. This seems like the first software feature that is exclusive to a particular trim within a particular model. Sorry, guys ...

The P3D- car is not appropriate for driving on a track, because the pads are totally insufficient. The first guy who tried it Laguna Seca destroyed his rotors after 8 laps which I think Tesla covered under warranty but I doubt they will do that over the longer term (too expensive), so I can understand why "Track Mode" would only be for the cars with upgraded brakes. People who think that the + package is an appearance package have always been deluding themselves, to save $5000.

Its sort of why I ordered the P3D+ to begin with. I figured that if Tesla ever provided some sort of performance upgrade (ludicrous+?) it would only be for P3D+ models. This seems like the first software feature that is exclusive to a particular trim within a particular model. Sorry, guys ...

The P3D- car is not appropriate for driving on a track, because the pads are totally insufficient. The first guy who tried it Laguna Seca destroyed his rotors after 8 laps which I think Tesla covered under warranty but I doubt they will do that over the longer term (too expensive), so I can understand why "Track Mode" would only be for the cars with upgraded brakes. People who think that the + package is an appearance package have always been deluding themselves, to save $5000.

I don't think I was being delusional. I just wanted to buy better tires than what they were offering. Seemed like a waste of money to get the upgrade.

Show me where a P3D- ate up the brakes in 8 laps and made Tesla replace them under warranty.

Last edited:

Partly agree. P3 minus will be just fine on the dragstrip with a single mod, tires. If you really want a faster car, get wider wheels and tires. If you want to go on a race track, other than a dragstrip, then both P3 minus in the P3 plus will need some upgrade. The problems with the P3 plus as delivered are is that the 20 wheels are heavy, the brakes are heavy, and the suspension drop is insufficient. That said, I now agree with some of the other posters who said that any further performance upgrades that are going to be sent as tesla software may well be limited to the P3 plus. That leaves P3 minus upgrades, both hardware and software, coming from third-party vendors, such as Mountain Pass Performance.

I learned two things today.

Tesla has a twitter account. I can't say I've ever seen anyone mention it in 3+ years of ownership

That I accidentally ordered the right P3D in opting for the + package. I didn't see any rationality in the track mode being limited to it, and I still don't. Sure I've see explanations, but I've never seen anything that makes sense.

When I ordered the P3D+ it was REALLY hard to get straight answers about what was included, and wasn't included. They absolutely should have been clear about the limitation of track mode to the P3D+ the second they announced track mode.

Sure there were discussions here, but people were just guessing.

I just asked this the other day and was told the car i ordered would have track mode...

As for the brakes, different pads and rotors should probably fix the issue?

This isn't going to push me to buy a 5k package n addition to the 11k more $, but it might push me to downgrade back to an awd...

11k more isn't enough to add the track mode software? yesh ..

I'm totally blown away that people are blown away because this is the easiest game theory decision tree I have ever seen.

Facts known:
Track Mode not mentioned during the ordering process.
Track Mode not a certainty to be a user feature.
Due to track mode not to be certain as a user feature, there is no solid basis to determine which variant it would appear on.

This sets the stage for an extremely simple decision tree.

IF track mode made it as a user feature, which variant would include it?
3P+ / 100%
3P- / 50% - arbitrary value meant to represent a coin flip, but in reality lower than 50% due to 3P+ option having a BBK plus liability and warranty concerns on certifying performance on a particular build out of the factory.
3LRD / 6.25% - arbitrary value meant to represent 4 successive coin flips. Completely unlikely due to TWO higher trims.

In the most generous of scenarios which I believe is even unlikely, assuming track mode inclusion for what amounts to a coin flip is a very bad idea. A car that you are ALREADY $64,000 committed.

64K / Track Mode Probability = < 50%
69K / Track Mode Probability = 100%

There was a 100% path to take, and people chose not to take it. Perceived value of + package, and anything "aftermarket", etc is irrelevant to "solving" Tesla's pareto optimal decision making process.

I'm totally blown away that people are blown away because this is the easiest game theory decision tree I have ever seen.

Facts known:
Track Mode not mentioned during the ordering process.
Track Mode not a certainty to be a user feature.
Due to track mode not to be certain as a user feature, there is no solid basis to determine which variant it would appear on.

This sets the stage for an extremely simple decision tree.

IF track mode made it as a user feature, which variant would include it?
3P+ / 100%
3P- / 50% - arbitrary value meant to represent a coin flip, but in reality lower than 50% due to 3P+ option having a BBK plus liability and warranty concerns on certifying performance on a particular build out of the factory.
3LRD / 6.25% - arbitrary value meant to represent 4 successive coin flips. Completely unlikely due to TWO higher trims.

In the most generous of scenarios which I believe is even unlikely, assuming track mode inclusion for what amounts to a coin flip is a very bad idea. A car that you are ALREADY $64,000 committed.

64K / Track Mode Probability = < 50%
69K / Track Mode Probability = 100%

There was a 100% path to take, and people chose not to take it. Perceived value of + package, and anything "aftermarket", etc is irrelevant to "solving" Tesla's pareto optimal decision making process.
Except I'm already spending 80k on this car i don't think i should need to spend another 5.5k to get a bunch of things I don't want other than track mode. The only option is to downgrade.

Except I'm already spending 80k on this car i don't think i should need to spend another 5.5k to get a bunch of things I don't want other than track mode. The only option is to downgrade.

I understand from an absolute value perspective. Relative value delta is not massively significant, less than taxes paid for P3+. You don’t get nothing, you get some hardware out of it.

10-11K for 1 second seems like a lot - going from AWD to P

But not that much when a Bentley Bentayga I ran into stopped driving like an ahole the moment I pulled up next to him. ;)

Reactions: SmartElectric