Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode exclusive to P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was very obvious to me that track mode would only be available on the P3D+ package. It's track mode. Why anybody thought AWD or RWD would get it is beyond me. P3D maybe has wiggle room, but still, it was plain to me that without the upgrade, you were going to miss features.

The P3D+ also has some track specific features like enhanced cooling, which makes successive laps on a track achievable. This feature has no purpose on the street, so track mode makes no sense on the street.

My only regret is that a bunch of yahoos won't be wrecking their cars and flooding the market with second hand parts.

I guess it's upsetting to me because a defining feature of a performance model 3 won't be on my performance model 3 because I had other tire and brake plans. It would make more sense in my head to keep performance features together across both variants especially because "features exclusive to performance" was never defined.

If track mode was of importance to you, you should've waited until a firm, official answer from Tesla before putting down 70k on it. You don't just order the P3D- and hope for the best to get track mode...

Common sense right here.

When people wonder why get the 3P+ when it’s just some fancy decorations, it’s a good question for a lot of people.

When it’s fancy decorations and track software, it might not seem as poor a value now.

It’s not like track mode was promised for 3P- and taken away in a bait and switch.

I guess it's upsetting to me because a defining feature of a performance model 3 won't be on my performance model 3 because I had other tire and brake plans. It would make more sense in my head to keep performance features together across both variants especially because "features exclusive to performance" was never defined.

It was never defined. Tesla could have never released track mode and decided to scrap it.

I had plans to pay for supercharging on my Model 3 but it was adjusted after I bought it for gratis. Wonder if I should complain about that?

Reactions: outie and DrDabbles
It was never defined. Tesla could have never released track mode and decided to scrap it.

I had plans to pay for supercharging on my Model 3 but it was adjusted after I bought it for gratis. Wonder if I should complain about that?

Again, that's not an apples to apples comparison. I'm frustrated because the wording when I ordered my car led me to believe that a feature exclusive to performance would be exclusive to all performance models. I didn't think there would be different levels based on what tires you picked. And there was nothing to suggest otherwise. (other than the top speed) I assumed that because I am buying a performance model, that it would come with everything performance entails. But I was wrong and that is disappointing.

Neither is the - and + debate. + gets options necessary for track mode from the factory. Tesla will not support aftermarket brake setups.
Has tesla said that they'll support track mode use at all? Whose to say using it won't void your warranty? If you overclock a GPU and fry it, it's not covered under warranty.

I'm not asking tesla to cover aftermarket anything, and you're missing my point about the software tweaking allowed possibly causing damage regardless of your tires and brakes.

Screenshot_20180627-191444_Chrome.jpg

I understand from an absolute value perspective. Relative value delta is not massively significant, less than taxes paid for P3+. You don’t get nothing, you get some hardware out of it.

10-11K for 1 second seems like a lot - going from AWD to P

But not that much when a Bentley Bentayga I ran into stopped driving like an ahole the moment I pulled up next to him. ;)
11k to go faster from 30mph to 60 mph. Since both cars are essentially the same speed until 30mph...

Crappy thing is I lose my place in line too and since I have only a reservation from a year n 1/2 ago, I'm not sure I would get my AWD car before the end of the year either.

Common sense right here.

When people wonder why get the 3P+ when it’s just some fancy decorations, it’s a good question for a lot of people.

When it’s fancy decorations and track software, it might not seem as poor a value now.

It’s not like track mode was promised for 3P- and taken away in a bait and switch.
The PUP seems like a better value now, while the AWD to P3D no longer seems like a good value, which you have to go through first to get to PUP, which forces you to pay for things your don't want. Basically 5k for brakes and track mode seems a bit high.

Reactions: Razorback787
11k to go faster from 30mph to 60 mph. Since both cars are essentially the same speed until 30mph...

Crappy thing is I lose my place in line too and since I have only a reservation from a year n 1/2 ago, I'm not sure I would get my AWD car before the end of the year either.

It’s not exactly the same, but to keep perspective how do you faster than 3P..?

Model S P100D. That’s like 130K. We’ve been so insanely spoiled by Tesla that we think 10K for 1 second doesn’t mean anything.

Also that 130K car has no track mode either.

Your in Cali, I would say you probably get any build you want by end of year. Though a P Model would guarantee it.

Comes down to how much risk you want to take. You are fortunate to even have the chance to get P+ now that track mode is official.

Those who own their P- already are locked out - again because they took their chances on a coin flip.

Last edited:
All of this getting up in arms about something people didn't even know would be a "thing"...I can understand the frustration, but it sounds more like buyers remorse than anything else.

If you were looking to push your car as hard as you can, Tesla is not stopping you from doing that. However, if you were somehow anticipating their involvement in the process (Track Mode), why would you assume they wouldn't expect more of your money? Just because it's a software push? There is real R&D that goes into this stuff, and it's not like if you're that serious about it that they shouldn't expect to be compensated. And overall, it's MUCH easier for them to sell you a package (at least for awhile) than to piecemeal your desires.

I think it's interesting how people want Tesla to be super defiant of the industry...but then get upset when they're not being held to the same standards. Dreams, meet reality. ;)

If you're spending $80K on a $35K base car, which is not really all that roomy, comfortable or practical (no towing), purchase was based on emotion rather than ration.
I for one am disappointed that the top car is not as quick as the S. $11K for cherry picked software upgraded motors? Then $5K more to get the fancy modes?
It's EAP all over again. Not even adaptive cruise control without it. Good luck finding any other $50K in this class that doesn't have it.

I'm totally blown away that people are blown away because this is the easiest game theory decision tree I have ever seen.

Facts known:
Track Mode not mentioned during the ordering process.
Track Mode not a certainty to be a user feature.
Due to track mode not to be certain as a user feature, there is no solid basis to determine which variant it would appear on.

This sets the stage for an extremely simple decision tree.

IF track mode made it as a user feature, which variant would include it?
3P+ / 100%
3P- / 50% - arbitrary value meant to represent a coin flip, but in reality lower than 50% due to 3P+ option having a BBK plus liability and warranty concerns on certifying performance on a particular build out of the factory.
3LRD / 6.25% - arbitrary value meant to represent 4 successive coin flips. Completely unlikely due to TWO higher trims.

In the most generous of scenarios which I believe is even unlikely, assuming track mode inclusion for what amounts to a coin flip is a very bad idea. A car that you are ALREADY $64,000 committed.

64K / Track Mode Probability = < 50%
69K / Track Mode Probability = 100%

There was a 100% path to take, and people chose not to take it. Perceived value of + package, and anything "aftermarket", etc is irrelevant to "solving" Tesla's pareto optimal decision making process.

@MXWing,

^^^THIS!!! Could not have said this better Myself! This is EXACTLY why I went P3D+ when there were so many unknowns on Specs. This was the Exact Decision Tree and Theory I used to make My purchase decision. It paid off.

Ski

@MXWing,

Exactly. The P3D- people got “Free SuperCharging for Life” and they’re complaining about not having Track Mode which the P3D- brakes can’t even handle? I don’t get it.

Ski

Has tesla said that they'll support track mode use at all? Whose to say using it won't void your warranty? If you overclock a GPU and fry it, it's not covered under warranty.

I'm not asking tesla to cover aftermarket anything, and you're missing my point about the software tweaking allowed possibly causing damage regardless of your tires and brakes.

@Razorback787,

This is a GREAT question I thought of as well. We KNOW that Tesla makes you click on a “Disclaimer” to enable a Track Mode. What legalese this entails we don’t yet know. If you have ANY kind of damage or part wear will it even be covered under warranty? Who knows. That’s my question. What are the lilimtations and restrictions?

Ski

It’s not exactly the same, but to keep perspective how do you faster than 3P..?

Model S P100D. That’s like 130K. We’ve been so insanely spoiled by Tesla that we think 10K for 1 second doesn’t mean anything.

Also that 130K car has no track mode either.

Your in Cali, I would say you probably get any build you want by end of year. Though a P Model would guarantee it.

Comes down to how much risk you want to take. You are fortunate to even have the chance to get P+ now that track mode is official.

Those who own their P- already are locked out - again because they took their chances on a coin flip.
Well I guess it could be an option, but the wife won't like me dropping eap for track mode so I'm not sure that it is really an option for me. I now just need to decide wether or not to go back to awd, as it will put me back at the end of the line... A p model was already a stretch. I it signed up thinking i was going to buy a ,50k car.

Volt is going up for sale today and if it sells it will cover EAP. But not EAP and Track mode. And even a volt can have TACC....