Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode Model Y performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: a2t2
Bumping an old thread rather than make a new one, hope that's ok.

Assuming there's been no more info on this, but does anyone have any other methods for either accessing more neutral handling (the staggered setup pushes a lot since I can't control power/traction, so new wheels will help but software would help a lot as well) or managing traction control? I actively autocross an MYP and am trying to solve those issues as much as possible.

Before anyone says "get a M3P" making the Y as fast as possible is actually a fun experiment for me, so I'm enjoying the challenge while trying not to spend $20k in wheels/suspension/brakes/sway bars.

Bumping an old thread rather than make a new one, hope that's ok.

Assuming there's been no more info on this, but does anyone have any other methods for either accessing more neutral handling (the staggered setup pushes a lot since I can't control power/traction, so new wheels will help but software would help a lot as well) or managing traction control? I actively autocross an MYP and am trying to solve those issues as much as possible.

Before anyone says "get a M3P" making the Y as fast as possible is actually a fun experiment for me, so I'm enjoying the challenge while trying not to spend $20k in wheels/suspension/brakes/sway bars.
I hear that you aren't trying to spend big bucks on wheels & tires.. but in case you are not aware the stock 21" Uberturbines on the MYP weigh 40lbs each. By switching to a square 20" aftermarket wheel setup not only would lose almost 15lbs in rotating mass (60lbs) total, but you'd end up with cheaper tires as well. If you are doing autocross then you already know this will basically perform miracles across every possible performance measurement. Not only should do wonders for solving your handling issues, I believe even the 0-60mph time drops from an average of 3.5 seconds to 3.2 and you'd gain about 25-30 miles in real world range.

You could sell your Uberturbines and buy a square 20" wheel setup with my personal favorite high-performance all seasons like the Michelin Pilot AS4's. You could even run 19" wheels and drop almost 20lbs of rotating mass at each wheel for even more performance/value. Just make sure they 19's you select are able clear the bigger Brembo calipers on the MYP.. (all wheels from Tsportline have already been tested to fit). This guide from Tsportline goes over everything you ever needed to know about the OEM wheels Tesla uses: The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Its unfortunate Tesla doesnt allow you to choose between the 21" Uberturbines or 20" Inductions for the same price when ordering the MYP. As I imagine many people would choose the 20" considering the added range, performance and all-season tire choice.

Last edited:
Oh I'm 100% swapping the wheels and tires that's a given and I'm fully aware of how unsprung mass weight savings help performance. :)

The daily set (even unstaggered with nice summer performance tires) still isn't enough performance for what I'm talking about. That's a decent upgrade on the street, but I'm looking for more than that. Already planning a full forged set of 19"s about 20lbs each and Pilot Sports (but I'm going specifically summer performance tire, even considering Cup 2s since I'm in CA so no all seasons for me) for my dailies.

What I'm talking about is, say the fully carbon set of wheels from Unplugged + dedicated track tires for cutting edge performance which is where the extreme cost comes in. Changing to better dailies is ok, but not what I'm looking for on a track. That's why I'm curious what beyond a super expensive dedicated track tire/wheel setup I can do. I'm looking to shave seconds on technical laps, not just make the car better to drive on a twisty road. Appreciate the reply though!

I'd rather track mode than all the other crap they deem more important like Trax and other games...

Even on road trips I don't spend enough time at Superchargers to invest in a game controller, and in local driving when my wife is shopping and I stay in the car I just watch YouTube.... I would much rather Tesla fixed TACC so it actually works as well as a cheap Honda adaptive cruise control system rather than spend time on "infotainment" upgrades. Second priority is spending the minimal effort to port over the already developed track mode from the 3 to the Y.

Keith

Reactions: Daekwan
Everyone buys cars for different reasons .. some want to granny drive in the slow lane at 40 to see if they can actually get the epa claimed range and some want to track it. I want to track it because it’s so damn fast and fun, it needs a track mode!

when you switch from 21 to 20 inch doesn’t the obscene fender gap get even worse ? It already looks borderline bad with as much gap as it is, do you lower the car when dropping wheel size ?

Everyone buys cars for different reasons .. some want to granny drive in the slow lane at 40 to see if they can actually get the epa claimed range and some want to track it. I want to track it because it’s so damn fast and fun, it needs a track mode!

when you switch from 21 to 20 inch doesn’t the obscene fender gap get even worse ? It already looks borderline bad with as much gap as it is, do you lower the car when dropping wheel size ?
Exactly. And it's almost like major companies can work on multiple features at once!

Also, re: the wheel size, I kind of agree, but I think with a suspension that will naturally lower me about .5" further with a little beefier rubber will end up looking nice. I've seen some setups like this with 20"s that I was really happy with.

I think the 20" Induction wheel and fender gap looks fine on the long-range models. Technically speaking the MYP is lowered like 10mm vs the MYLR.. so there should be even less wheel gap vs the long-range models.

I'm not sure the track groups by me would allow you to. it's an "SUV", which generally aren't allowed.

In the cars I've taken, I've had to refuel at least once a day. I'm not sure you'd get a full day without a supercharger near by. you might get a 30min session in though

Yeah they would definitely need a supercharger at the track. My DE’s were 15 min sessions which seemed like an hour lol. I bet you could do 2-3 of those. There were plenty of SUV like XM5’s just no convertibles allowed. Tesla would be fine (but would bruise some supercar driver ego’s)