Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode on PXXXDL Model S or X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S and X models are built for a luxurious ride. Both Models are big and heavy. They would not really bode well with a track mode.
Having taken my S on a track as is, I would disagree. Any car can be taken for a blast around a track, and any car can be tweaked for better track usage. The main issue with the S is traction on corners. There's so much torque that the traction and vehicle dynamic control kicks in dramatically limiting how hard you can take a corner. There were precious few cars that could come close to the speed I had around the track, even if it was short lived.

S and X overheat in overtaking on roads
Just to be sure I charged to 95% and got tired of waiting. Headed out to Hwy 5 and lucked into half a mile of no traffic. 74 deg F and little wind. Battery was warm from charging, left on high regen and went 80 - 120 three times before I got worried about cops. No power limiting from over heat. It's hard to push a P100D into power limiting on the street.
Maybe you have a rabbit caught in your radiator?

Reactions: UkrHog
I charge mine to 100%, set it to ludicrous+ mode, have it fully heated at over 50 degrees, and go for blasts through the hills nearby for half hour and it never overheats. Regular driving is nothing like driving on a track no matter how much you push the limits. Any talk of overheating is greatly exaggerated by track testing. Plus people in Europe have driven them on autobahns without them overheating unless they're consistently over 200km/h for more than half hour.

Reactions: UkrHog
I tweeted Elon and Tesla hoping for a track mode. A drift more would be amazing. No response.... :(
Yeah well, I've tweeted him many times and gave up doing so a long time ago. It's only pure luck if you ever get his attention, and usually on another thread that he posts a response to rather than one we start. Considering how many tweets/retweets/likes/comments he's involved in, it'd be a miracle to get a response.

It's not the battery that's has a overheat problem. It's the stator, inverter etc.
Just watch how much power degradation it is after some acceleration.
If you don't having this problem, that's great!
But remember that people drive different.
Hard driving for you, it's like Sunday driving for other people.. Can't do 1/5 of a lap on a track, Without overheating.

This is getting ridiculous. Now it's 1/5th of a lap? Next you'll tell us it's one take off... no, it's overheated before you even accelerate!
D59439BC-8F1A-4D7C-8285-6B27453F1EAC.jpeg

Yeh... I have no idea when my P85D and 75D losses power because of overheating..

A lot of people saying ( complain) that teslas overheating on autobahn etc. That's probably because of heavy acceleration and a lot of it (traffic). Not a problem with "normal" driving.
A P100D don't have the same voltage drop as a P85D. Maybe it helps(?).
Asked a friend for more information about P100D. Wil update