Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode Rolling out Today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the Track Mode release comes with this exciting Motor Trends review:

Tesla Model 3 Performance Track Mode (Release Version): Ludicrous Handling - Motor Trend

--snip
Nearby, the Tesla engineers have more of a look of cool relief. Earlier, a Model 3 Performance—software-flashed with its latest Track mode nervous system and mounted with 10mm-wider Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s and track-friendly Brembo brake pads—had lapped the course in a 1:21.49. That hammers the 1:23.90 it set six weeks ago on its standard 235/35-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires under the software supervision of Track mode's earlier, wobblier prototype code.

What no one is quite saying out loud, though, is that a 1:21.49 snips a lifetime-like 1.29 seconds from Randy's recent lap in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. The new time essentially matches a 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 and even beats a former Best Driver's Car winner, the 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia (1:22.30). Until the new BMW M3 shows up, that perches the Model 3 atop the podium as the world's quickest sport sedan—at least around this track.

Last edited:
Has there been mention of whether this is for all Performance models including the S or only the Model 3?

Since it is a whole new VDC system I suspect that the S&X just don't have the hardware. (At least at this time.)

And from the Motor Trend article: Tesla Model 3 Performance Track Mode (Release Version): Ludicrous Handling - Motor Trend

Today—November 8—Tesla expects this "Release Version" software to be accessible to owners of all Model 3 Performance cars (with the redundant-sounding Performance option, now standard).

So the P3D- cars appear to be left out. (At least at this time.) My guess is that the brakes just aren't up to the task. (Not to mention the stock tires.)

Of course I don't see any sign of new firmware on TeslaFi yet...

Never mind I have p3d-. I swear I saw that Elon mentioned all performance modes will get this. Either way I hope it trickles down to us that intend on tracking with modified cars that will be able to handle tracking. I purposely bought the p3d- with intentions of swapping all parts that come with the p3d+

What a great read! Good to see MT singing the Tesla praises, and also to see what a bit of tire and tuning did to the Tesla lap times. It never was fair to give the Tesla the short end of the Tire stick, while the Alpha got nearly race rubber.

I am very curious to see how much the track based cooling program helped. How many laps can we run now without power throttling.

Never mind I have p3d-. I swear I saw that Elon mentioned all performance modes will get this. Either way I hope it trickles down to us that intend on tracking with modified cars that will be able to handle tracking. I purposely bought the p3d- with intentions of swapping all parts that come with the p3d+
Nah they are going to pour salt on the wound of those P3D- people like myself. They obviously don't want me to ever buy another tesla. It would be more profitable to make you buy a new car to get track mode after all.