Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Track mode is far different from traction control off. A good track mode allows you to adjust slip angles while still getting help from the computer. Few cars really let you turn off traction control, they just have an off button that does very little as the traction control often turns back on if limits are exceeded.

Track mode helps you go faster, traction control off just keeps the traction control from slowing you down.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Track mode is far different from traction control off. A good track mode allows you to adjust slip angles while still getting help from the computer. Few cars really let you turn off traction control, they just have an off button that does very little as the traction control often turns back on if limits are exceeded.

Track mode helps you go faster, traction control off just keeps the traction control from slowing you down.
No car that I'm aware of is faster with any sort of stability control enabled. I am aware of BMWs and Corvettes that have such modes but I've always heard that the best times are achieved by fully disabling them.

Track Mode needs the option to remove the side mirrors and replace them with camera's. Elon, we promise not use them on public roads . Either that or to put a camera on the outside of the mirror casing so you can fold the mirrors in and that camera is then in use.

D has two motors and only one accelerator pedal. It also has 4 wheels and only one brake pedal.
Having just one accelerator pedal there has to be some one deciding what motor will output how much power depending on you pressing the pedal.
And there also has to be some one deciding the pressure in each brake when you press the pedal.

Really disabling all SW control would demand installing 4 brake pedals and 4 accelerator pedals. Think about what you really wish...

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and P85_DA
No car that I'm aware of is faster with any sort of stability control enabled. I am aware of BMWs and Corvettes that have such modes but I've always heard that the best times are achieved by fully disabling them.

That totally depends how good the driver is and how good the track mode is. 90% of drivers are better with full stability control on. Every year the computers get better, driver's get worse.

That totally depends how good the driver is and how good the track mode is. 90% of drivers are better with full stability control on. Every year the computers get better, driver's get worse.
They could probably make autopilot faster than 90% of drivers. Haha.
I'm just saying I've never seen or heard of an example of stability control improving lap times. Also, Tesla is almost certainly buying their system from a supplier whose concern is not setting the fastest lap times but instead making the safest system.
D has two motors and only one accelerator pedal. It also has 4 wheels and only one brake pedal.
Having just one accelerator pedal there has to be some one deciding what motor will output how much power depending on you pressing the pedal.
And there also has to be some one deciding the pressure in each brake when you press the pedal.

Really disabling all SW control would demand installing 4 brake pedals and 4 accelerator pedals. Think about what you really wish...
Yep everything is computer controlled these days. The BMW M3 has a limited slip differential with an electric motor in it. Is that stability control? I guess I'm defining stability control as a system that adjusts throttle and braking to individual wheels to rotate the car.

I'm with Daniel in SD. There are certain safety features that need to be fully turned off in order to achieve the fastest lap time. Stuff like emergency braking is certainly something you don't want coming on in the middle of a hard turn when you are gaining fast on the driver in front... From the videos currently available the track mode in the Model 3 performance looks like it turns down/off the traction control, changes the torque split (allowing the rear wheel drifts), and probably many other things. Time will tell, but its a good thing, but I suspect if you want such nice track oriented things you will have to pay for the performance upgrades with the bigger brakes etc.

Tesla said this traction control is the first they developed, so they are not relying on a supplier.
I'm referring to stability control. It would make sense for them to develop traction control in house since it's much simpler and they obviously have unique requirements. Stability control uses the brake system which I doubt they developed in house.

I'm referring to stability control. It would make sense for them to develop traction control in house since it's much simpler and they obviously have unique requirements. Stability control uses the brake system which I doubt they developed in house.

Considering they wrote the ABS software I suspect they do the stability control as well... Tesla really doesn't like to buy/license software from others.

Considering they wrote the ABS software I suspect they do the stability control as well... Tesla really doesn't like to buy/license software from others.
We really don't know what happened with the ABS issue. I think it might have been some sort of unanticipated interaction between the ABS controller and the regenerative braking. Pure speculation though. They also could have screwed up the calibration/configuration of their supplier's software.
I'm not sure why it's relevant anyway. It just doesn't seem likely that Tesla has developed a stability control system that makes a car faster when no other manufacturer has managed to do so.

Whatever Track Mode is: Mountain Pass Performance has apparently hacked a Model 3 RWD to approximate it:

Mountain Pass Performance Unlocks Tesla Model 3 “Track Mode,” Shatters Track Record

Mountain Pass Performance Unlocks Tesla Model 3 "Track Mode," Shatters Track Record — #CleanTechnica Exclusive | CleanTechnica

Video of RWD drifting
Mountain Pass Performance on Instagram: “Did a bunch of development on our traction/stability control defeat system. I guess you could say it was a success. What do you think…”
This article is missing two critical pieces of information. What track and what record?
Very impressive work though. Hopefully they'll be at the next ReFuel event and destroy the production EV record. I'd worry that whatever they're doing to disable VDC could be removed by a software update later.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
This article is missing two critical pieces of information. What track and what record?
Very impressive work though. Hopefully they'll be at the next ReFuel event and destroy the production EV record. I'd worry that whatever they're doing to disable VDC could be removed by a software update later.

Agreed, I re read the article multiple times to see where this track was. No dice.