Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone who is actually a good track driver (not me) think that "track mode" will be better than just disabling stability and traction control?
Hopefully Mountain Pass Performance will release their solution but the problem is Tesla can choose to disable it at any time with an OTA update.

It's been confirmed (as much as can be with Tesla) that it will be. I feel that's why it only comes with the PUP, because those beefier rear brakes play a part in the active torque vectoring that will occur. Tesla keeps referring to it as not disabling traction control, but enhancing it.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
My guess is that the reason for the P3D+ limitation is the brakes are not just larger in the rear, but may have more capability. Again, just my guess.

These look like the rear brakes in the performance upgrade package:
upload_2018-8-30_19-26-7.jpeg

They are on the Alpine A110, which has “no mechanical limited slip diff, with Alpine opting for a brake-based e-diff.”

Alpine A110: 1080kg sports car shown in production form – Geneva 2017

• Informative
Reactions: Zippy_EV
idk ... If the car is full of paint defects and is crap maybe they will let me change my order. Who knows.

Despite you may be disappointed with the car without track mode, you may be tempted to go with it when you see it (assuming the paint work is perfect). Model 3 is irresistible due to its beauty.

So I suggest you don't visit the center on delivery if you are serious about not getting it. :p

Either way, good luck~:rolleyes:

It's been confirmed (as much as can be with Tesla) that it will be. I feel that's why it only comes with the PUP, because those beefier rear brakes play a part in the active torque vectoring that will occur. Tesla keeps referring to it as not disabling traction control, but enhancing it.
They should pay someone to run a hot lap at Laguna Seca to prove it. I remain skeptical.
Using the brakes as a differential is converting power to heat. The BMW M3 and Alfa Quadrifolglio both have electronically controlled differentials that don't through power away.
I just want a disable button. Though I won't be too upset if I don't get one since I wasn't expecting it.

I'm pretty frustrated by this. I picked up my P3D- two weeks ago, well after the track mode was discussed publicly in the Road and Track article. I didn't buy the performance upgrade package because I didn't want to spend 5k on a package that included 4k in wheels + tires, a lot more expensive than the aftermarket turbines + tires I prefer the look of. I was initially going to get the AWD non performance model but upgraded because I wanted a car that every option that couldn't be upgraded by myself later on. I knew I could do brakes and wheels myself, but not performance. I'm very much not receiving what I thought I was when I picked the car up.

And yes, I knew I was going to have a top speed of 145 instead of 155, but as others have mentioned there's no track I that I will take this car where that was going to matter, handling on the other hand does.

My comment goes kind of hand in hand with the insanely long thread about people not believing things like the red calipers or lowered suspension only came with the Performance Upgrade package. It sucks that it wasn’t clearly communicated, track mode being exclusive to that package, but I’m not at all surprised.

If you wanted cool stuff, ordering the cool package seemed logical. I placed my order having some idea in the back of my mind that things wouldn’t get left out of the PUP.

That and if you’re going to be putting your car into a “track” mode, an almost abusive mode by definition, even if you don’t claim any warranty on it you’re also basically buying into a sort of “beat it up” warranty.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Voiding a warranty for getting aftermarket rotors, wheels, tires and coilovers sound silly to me. I been in the car modding business and I never heard of warranties being voided by other manufacturers.

Increasing horsepower and flashing the ECU yes but suspension mods. Never.
100% agree. Hasn’t stopped dealers before and they will try to take advantage of those who don’t know better.