Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Report: Model 3 Performance @ ORP, day 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wow that is crazy for one weekend and not all sessions. Definitely need dedicated track wheels/tires.

Holy crap those tires wore fast. Maybe just need some negative camber?

I’ve heard the Michelin PSS wear fast on the track. I have them on my daily driver, but never tracked it. 4S may be similar. However I love the PC2s and have found them to wear very well.

We used PSS on my buddy's daily e90 M3 for a number of events and while they get slick they didn't burn that quickly.

I'm rolling the dice (regarding fitting properly on with the upgraded brakes) hoping this will make a nice second set:
  • TST.1885.1885.MB.M3.DWS06.PPU
If they arrive soon, I have some time to decide what to replace on the 20s. If not, it becomes more urgent.

I've been using all seasons (Michelin A/S 3+) on the S (daily, autocross, and lapping) as a compromise for bad weather and slower wear. In the past I really enjoyed Michelin Pilot Super Sports but I was burning through them too quick for comfort/budget.
I think all-season tires would be even worse for handling heat (and of course much slower!). The fact is that autocross and track use is going to eat through tires on a 4000lb car. If the outside edge wears you can have the tires flipped to get more life out of them. Bridgestone RE-71R or BFG Rival S are the tires to have in autocross these days. I'd think about getting 9.5" width rims and 265 width tires.

I think higher tire pressure would have helped with the uneven tire wear. It would keep the tire from rolling over onto the sidewalls when cornering.

The problem is the tires get really hot, and you don't want too much pressure or else you lose grip. It looks like he just needs more negative camber, I saw someone's alignment and factory is like -.5 on the fronts. I don't know if it's adjustable, but lowering it would help.

Clarification:
Are you agreeing with my suspicion in the last bullet or saying something different? Just want to make sure I'm understanding. Thanks.

I'm agreeing with your suspicion. (The suspicion that the corded tire doesn't feel as "tight")

Also -.5 deg is very little camber. Would be great to be able to adjust it. Silly Tesla, if we can't adjust the camber we'll have more of a "tire killer" than a BMW M3 killer on track. ;)

Just to give people a frame of reference I have been running around -3 deg camber for years on another car. -3 is fine for track but would wear the inside edges rapidly on the street.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Brian, just making sure, you completed the HPDE in your P3+ on stock brakes, stock fluid, and stock 20" PS 4S tires?

P.S. I have a HPDE scheduled in two weeks. As I don't have the whole winter tire thing worked out it might be nice to kill off these summer tires. :)

Brian, just making sure, you completed the HPDE in your P3+ on stock brakes, stock fluid, and stock 20" PS 4S tires?

P.S. I have a HPDE scheduled in two weeks. As I don't have the whole winter tire thing worked out it might be nice to kill off these summer tires. :)
You'll be fine with stock on HPDE. I did my HPDEs in 2013 and 2014 with Model S (stock). :)

Update:
Beatrice's (M3P w/PUO) front left pad is "done" (scraping metal sound) after 4.5 track days. Right front and rears seem ok still. Skipped 6th day at track, drove home w/focused attention on using mostly regen.

The navigation system is different, it doesn't use a fixed Kw/mile for the remaining range at destination. it predicts the remaining range by a number of factors. Here is a snippet from the Model 3 manual:

So they say that weather is even included in that calculation.

They may do all that but for me its not very accurate. It always underestimates my left over battery at destination. This is dangerous because it can leave me stranded. For me its off by 20% so I always have to do a quick calculation on my phone and subtract 20% of what they calculate. If it were indeed looking at how I drive, it would see that I am a super aggressive driver and should adjust accordingly with 2 months worth of driving data. But it hasn't. Its as off today as it was when I got it.