Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track report - Streets of Willow CCW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, I measured tread depth inner-center-outer on all 4 tires before and after my 50 laps I still surprisingly wore the tread evenly, down to the half-mm. And yes, I did see 6-7 PSI increases after the fastest sessions! Would lower pressures not have resulted on more outer wear, thus requiring more camber? I was running MPP Comforts at full-stiff, plus a UP rear anti-sway bar at full-stiff, but were the relatively soft coils and dampers (compared to sports or “Race” variants) masking the rougher ride?
I'm not sure what the spring rates on comfort coils are, but having that high tire pressure is essentially like adding more spring to the car so that should help with keeping the car planted well and body roll in check (perhaps as you said that's why you're tire wear is still pretty good).

To be fair, I measured tread depth inner-center-outer on all 4 tires before and after my 50 laps I still surprisingly wore the tread evenly, down to the half-mm. And yes, I did see 6-7 PSI increases after the fastest sessions! Would lower pressures not have resulted on more outer wear, thus requiring more camber? I was running MPP Comforts at full-stiff, plus a UP rear anti-sway bar at full-stiff, but were the relatively soft coils and dampers (compared to sports or “Race” variants) masking the rougher ride?
To be blunt: Your car is a far cry from being prepped for the abuse you’re dishing out to it. You may find that you’ll enjoy it more when it’s setup properly for what you’re looking to do with it. Comforts(kw variant 1 or 2 depending on the version of your ‘comfort’ setup) and a massive rear bar aren’t helping you to get faster nor explore track handling.

Not sure I ever spoke of the TW of the tires we run. Nor the camber. Nor anything else. 🤙🏿 Made a comment about PSI in tires.

These cars aren’t ‘zomg magical heavy’, as stated above they're about the same size as many other of their made in America friends.

Of note, this whole discussion came out from the OP specifically mentioning excessive wear on the outer edge of the tires, and I am certain we can all agree tire pressures are a significant factor in such results (and several other posters specifically mentioned it).

Last edited:
Resurrecting this old thread. I've done many track days in the 3. With the stock lack-of-camber and on the stock 20's I get the best tire wear starting at 40psi cold. Yes that's way higher than I assumed I would need. And yes, the outside edges still wear first, but in my tests dropping down to 32psi cold caused excessive / dangerous rollover onto the tire sidewall. (I've used the original PS4S, RE-71R and Cup 2 with the same results) I'm certainly expecting that getting more negative camber would lower the ideal starting cold pressure down to something more "normal". Pretty sure I'll be adding the MPP camber / toe adjustment parts soon.

Reactions: TimTam