Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Tire/wheel Set Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning ahead...do the new RS4s need to be broken in or heat cycled before a track day? Wondering if I should run them on the street for a handful of miles before swapping back to my PS4S, or just wait til the next track day to put them on.
Yes it would be a good idea to drive around for an hour on the street and then let the tires cool before racing on them.

Reactions: destructure00
Nah, no need for breaking in or heat cycling, they'll heat cycle out anyway long before they cord. heatcycling in advance and letting them sit for 48 hours on a slick normally just gains an extra few heat cycles. R7's can gain like 2-4 additional heat cycles before turning into rocks if you follow hoosiers advices, no such luck for a 200TW tire.

$2169 out the door at Discount, including lug nuts and a new set of TPMS. Plus they are doing a 10% mail-in rebate this weekend for the 4th, so that's another $200 or so that I'll get back on a gift card. Hard to beat that!

Yes that is a fantastic price for track shoes coming still at just over 47 lb a corner in the highly desirable 265 width. Nice job!

So it apparently is possible to fit a set of 4 wheels and tires in the car :)

IMG_20190628_154711.jpg

So it apparently is possible to fit a set of 4 wheels and tires in the car :)

View attachment 424460

Be sure not to leave them in there baking in the sun! That new tire smell is quite persistent and takes a while to dissipate once it infiltrates the fabrics. Probably not good for you either.

including lug nuts

Having just fit a Dekagram wheel...why were new lug nuts needed? Was the taper incompatible or what? I didn't notice an issue but I also didn't torque down all the lugs.

Did you end up going stud-centric?

Reactions: Lindenwood
Be sure not to leave them in there baking in the sun! That new tire smell is quite persistent and takes a while to dissipate once it infiltrates the fabrics. Probably not good for you either.

Having just fit a Dekagram wheel...why were new lug nuts needed? Was the taper incompatible or what? I didn't notice an issue but I also didn't torque down all the lugs.

These probably user tuner nuts (12mm) instead of tesla stock 14mm nuts. Very common on wheels like this, my winter ones do.

The tires were in the car for about 20 mins...just long enough to get home and change clothes and pull them out. Thanks for the heads up though.

Regarding the lug nuts, I'm not sure....Discount just asked if I wanted silver or black and I didn't question it. I thought I read somewhere else that factory lug nuts wouldn't work with aftermarket wheels but I don't know for sure.

The hub on these wheels is larger, 73.1 vs the stock 64.1mm. I have rings on order but for right now they are lug centric.

Here's the rings I bought
73.1mm OD to 64.1mm ID Circuit Performance Silver Aluminum Hub Centric Rings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JN0MUG4

Last edited: