Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracker for insurance

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Not in the traditional sense.

You are best off trying to find someone at the insurers who understands Teslas and speak to them directly to find out if the tracker it has is suitable. It is not as effective as bespoke ones, relying on (as far as I know) LTE network connectivity, whereas proper ones have internal GPS with battery backup, etc.

I went with a "Tesla aware" insurer for this and other reasons, as I didn't want to risk a misunderstanding over the intepretation of "tracker" in the event of a claim.

Reactions: Lanerboy

tomorrowman

Mar 10, 2020
Hampshire
As a little aside

Tesla did have job adverts posted in the UK for actuaries a while ago. Got the impression they where planning to launch innovative insurance products (I assume that means using actual vehicle data to determine premiums)

• Informative
Reactions: Irata

JimboM

Feb 25, 2020
South West
Had a similar challenge from our fleet insurer, ended up insuring Tesla on a different policy with Direct Line, far cheaper and no tracker.

One thing to watch out for is the tracker package we have on our hydrogen Hyundai Nexo comes with a fob that you have to keep on your person when driving.

Would have somewhat diminished the keyless appeal of the M3....

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC