Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be primarily using my car for business use and the insurance company would like proof that the car has a tracker installed.
I presume there is one in there as you can see the location through the app on the phone but not sure how I prove to ta existence to the insurance company?

It's unlikely to count as a 'tracker' because it only works on GPS and transmits via GSM. Someone stealing the car with knowledge will just remove the SIM card. A real tracker works on multiple frequencies and is hidden so a thief can't just remove or disable it.

I will be primarily using my car for business use and the insurance company would like proof that the car has a tracker installed.
I presume there is one in there as you can see the location through the app on the phone but not sure how I prove to ta existence to the insurance company?
If you go with Direct Line, which is usually the cheapest, they know all about the features of the Tesla and will take it into account.

It's unlikely to count as a 'tracker' because it only works on GPS and transmits via GSM. Someone stealing the car with knowledge will just remove the SIM card. A real tracker works on multiple frequencies and is hidden so a thief can't just remove or disable it.
Even top end trackers use GPS and GSM, some just have an additional shortwave like VHF. Any decent thief doesn't bother with sim cards they just jam the GPS and GSM so the car can't report it's stolen, so even if VHF is hard to jam if it's not reported stolen quickly, and it's driven more than a few miles away there's little chance in getting the vehicle back. I've seen trackers found in shells about 5 hours after being stolen with literally nothing left of the car bar the shell and tracker.
also +1 on LV recognising the car as having a "tracker", and Direct line are the main Tesla insurance partner (until they start offering their own)
While not the best tracking option available, I'd still count it as a tracker. It's just a pity Tesla don't let you put proximity alerts on, so you could see if your car moved outside of a set area.... although I'd actually settle for the app actually alerting if the alarm goes off if sentry mode isn't on :p

I used to (somewhat illegally) use a home made portable jammer, years ago. I used to commute by train to London, and got really fed up with people ignoring the rules in the silent sections of the train. Found a company in the US that sold a kit to make a jammer that created a "silent bubble" around the user, only over a relatively short range, just a few metres. Worked a treat for silencing the noisy gits that used to insist on shouting into their phones in the silent carriage, including the inevitable increase in volume when they shout louder as the signal gets lost in a tunnel. Only problem was that the battery didn't last very long, just about enough for most of my hour and a half commute.

Edited to add:

Found it, not available as a kit any more, but all the design details are here: Wave Bubble

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982
I had a Tracker fitted into my Morgan today. The installer told me that the Tesla Tracker is Thatcham Category 5/S5 Approved. Quite wht Resla don't inform users of this I don't understand. As others have said, LV and DL both know this.
The guy also told me that the Tracker is active as long as the ancillary battery is charged and cannot be removed without destroying the car electronics.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
The latter is probably true at least in the model 3 since it uses an eSIM - it can't be removed without also removing the MCU. That said, a lot of these high value thefts are to break the car for parts anyway (rendering trackers moot) - a whole, stolen tesla would be found and returned shortly after its new 'owners' tried to use it.