TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tracking a Tesla Model S P85

Discussion in 'News' started by Kofi, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Kofi

Kofi Member

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Sure would be nice if people who test a Tesla on the track would use the P85+ instead of the 60. Seriously, tracking a 60?

3. tomanik

tomanik Member

Wonder if a 60 might make it around the track without suffering from power limits though...

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I respect any Tesla driver for giving it a shot at the track. Even a 40/60. There's room for all of us. Partially "for science!"

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, it'll hit the limiter as well. Confirmed at REFUEL 2014.

5. Kofi

Kofi Member

The P85+ may not have been released before they tracked.

6. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

So here's what kills me...

Okay, so the Model S is a fast car that handles beautifully. But it's not a race car -- it wasn't designed to be a race car. It was designed to be a high-tech luxury vehicle, that, oh by the way, just happens to have insanely fast acceleration thanks to its battery and motor design.

The Model S gets compared to high end cars designed for racing, then it's frequently slammed for not quite keeping up. Really??? That fact that the production Model S luxury family sedan that seats 7 (with rear-facing seats) is even being considered to be put against some of the fastest cars in the world is testament to what an incredible car it is.

Win or lose [the race], that's still a big WIN.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I attribute it to two things:
    1. There are some looking for a reason to complain about EVs or Tesla Model S. The former because it's a long-term threat. The latter because it's a manifestation of "holy cow, their first vehicle is so awesome a lot of people are simply speechless or at least drooling" and it's in vogue to present yourself as aloof and "objective".
    2. There is no other "general populace" 3+ passenger EV that has shown this well. So they have nothing else to compare with whatever "hot" cars they want to compare with.

You can usually distinguish the former from the latter in one simple way: the latter will say something like "we know it's absurd to compare a 5+2 passenger sedan with a sports car, but we just want to see how it fares." The former will come to bizarre conclusions rather than acknowledge that underlying reality and the reality that this is a "v1" of EV vs. a "v50"(?) of ICE.

8. linkster

linkster Member

It kills me too...

VERY well stated !

9. freds

freds Member

One of the replies to the article mention Autobahn software settings, is that really available?