Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking and reporting of reservations, orders, and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone who doesn't get his/her Model X delivered by December 31st who is buying (instead of leasing) will have to wait 'til 2017 to get the $7,500 Federal tax credit applied.

Thanks, Elon.

No, you adjust your work place's paycheck witholding. You can reduce federal witholding by 650 per month through the whole year. You can also reduce it by 1000 for 7 months if you wish and if your HR department will work with you.

No, you adjust your work place's paycheck witholding. You can reduce federal witholding by 650 per month through the whole year. You can also reduce it by 1000 for 7 months if you wish and if your HR department will work with you.

Exactly. The IRS gets your money throughout the year one way or another. Whether that be through W2 withholding or estimated taxes. It's up to you to have the proper amount withheld. If you have too much withheld (i.e. you are expecting a $7500 credit but you don't account for it) you are giving the government an interest free loan. If you have too little withheld, you have to pay a penalty. If you have just the right amount withheld, you win.

I had my withholdings adjusted for 2015 for the LEAF I purchased in March, so it will be easy for me to just leave everything the same to take the credit again in 2016 for Model X.

Exactly. The IRS gets your money throughout the year one way or another. Whether that be through W2 withholding or estimated taxes. It's up to you to have the proper amount withheld. If you have too much withheld (i.e. you are expecting a $7500 credit but you don't account for it) you are giving the government an interest free loan. If you have too little withheld, you have to pay a penalty. If you have just the right amount withheld, you win.

I had my withholdings adjusted for 2015 for the LEAF I purchased in March, so it will be easy for me to just leave everything the same to take the credit again in 2016 for Model X.
This is only done through a W-4, correct? So if 0 deductions doesn't do it can you enter a negative/- number on this line "Additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck"?

Looks like there are several calculators out there to help with this. w-4 calculator - Google Search

W-4 form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

This is only done through a W-4, correct? So if 0 deductions doesn't do it can you enter a negative/- number on this line "Additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck"?

Looks like there are several calculators out there to help with this. w-4 calculator - Google Search

W-4 form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Yes, it is the W-4 form, not W2. I don't think you can put a negative number in additional amount you want withheld. But increasing your deductions reduces the amount withheld. In order to reduce my withholding enough to cover the $7,500 credit I had to put in something like 10 deductions.

I think you get have to pay a penalty if you underpay (and is varies a lot from the previous year) ... not that I've ever experienced that :)
If you underpay by more than 10% then you could end up with a penalty or under certain circumstances be forced to do quarterly estimated payments.
There are provisions in the law that allow the IRS to waive the penalty if there are external circumstances that could be seen as mitigating ("casualty, disaster, or other unusual circumstance"). I'm sure the non-delivery of a Signature reservation falls under "disaster".

I wonder how many reservation holders did that in 2015, thinking that their Model X Signature would be delivered by the end of the year?

I think people would only do this if they make their purchase early in the year and don't want to wait until the following year for the $7500 tax credit. If you expect the car to be delivered at the end of the year, it's probably better to just wait a couple months and claim it when filing at the beginning of the new year.

if you underpay by more than 10% then you could end up with a penalty or under certain circumstances be forced to do quarterly estimated payments.
There are provisions in the law that allow the irs to waive the penalty if there are external circumstances that could be seen as mitigating ("casualty, disaster, or other unusual circumstance"). I'm sure the non-delivery of a signature reservation falls under "disaster".
lol :smile:

Last edited: