TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tracking car while on a transporter

Discussion in 'Model S' started by alevek, Jan 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BoiseBruin

BoiseBruin Member

I downloaded the Remote S app.. Still shows in Atlanta.. I will see, but have a feeling that its Tesla servers not updating the location.. not an app issue.. But for $9.99 it was worth a try...

2. alevek

alevek Member

Yes, it's not the app or the server. The car is just not updating its location when it's off.

3. bandido

bandido Member

That is a bummer!! :(:(Sorry guys I really thought it was going to work...

4. alevek

alevek Member

No worries. Some new hire was probably assigned to reduce energy consumption when the car is off. So, he/she figured since the car is off and can't move, we'll just save the last GPS location and not waste energy updating to the same location over and over. Didn't take into account the car could move on a trailer...;););)

5. thatisug

thatisug Member

My car was towed in twice (new 2017 MS) during the "Parking Break Needs Service" plague... each time it was towed it never updated the GPS. During one of the long tows I was nervous the car was not yet picked up (since I left it in a parking lot). The Roadside service line informed me that the cars GPS does not update while it is in Park, only when the car is taken out of park will the GPS Update.

Seemed odd to me that this would be the behavior, however seemed to be true on both occasions.

6. rubdom

rubdom Member

Good stuff to know. I was trying to track mine while on a truck today and the location was at the pickup location.....i thought they hadn't left yet!

7. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

I put my car on the auto train from DC to Florida and had the same thing happen..

App was showing that it was still at the origin. Seems that cell signal was working fine and I could connect to the car from the app but must've lost GPS connectivity during the trip.

8. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Shipped 2 Tesla’s cross country on open carriers last August and just as you found out the location only updated when the car was operated. Was still able to monitor climate and lock the doors (transporters often leave doors unlocked and have no liability for contents in the vehicle)