Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking car while on a transporter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No worries. Some new hire was probably assigned to reduce energy consumption when the car is off. So, he/she figured since the car is off and can't move, we'll just save the last GPS location and not waste energy updating to the same location over and over. Didn't take into account the car could move on a trailer...;););)

My car was towed in twice (new 2017 MS) during the "Parking Break Needs Service" plague... each time it was towed it never updated the GPS. During one of the long tows I was nervous the car was not yet picked up (since I left it in a parking lot). The Roadside service line informed me that the cars GPS does not update while it is in Park, only when the car is taken out of park will the GPS Update.

Seemed odd to me that this would be the behavior, however seemed to be true on both occasions.

I put my car on the auto train from DC to Florida and had the same thing happen..

App was showing that it was still at the origin. Seems that cell signal was working fine and I could connect to the car from the app but must've lost GPS connectivity during the trip.

Shipped 2 Tesla’s cross country on open carriers last August and just as you found out the location only updated when the car was operated. Was still able to monitor climate and lock the doors (transporters often leave doors unlocked and have no liability for contents in the vehicle)