Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking car while on a transporter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tracked the car while it's being transported? Put the Model S on car transporter this morning, but location still shows the pickup point and doesn't update to current transporter location.

You should be able to see it no sweat provided the cell signal and GPS signals are not being blocked by being inside a transporter trailer made of materials sufficient to block said signals.

Has anyone tracked the car while it's being transported? Put the Model S on car transporter this morning, but location still shows the pickup point and doesn't update to current transporter location.
It depends on the transport trailer. If it is enclosed, or a multi-level trailer and there are cars above it, then the GPS signal could be blocked. The antenna pretty much needs line-of-sight clear to multiple satellites, so quite possible to lose the signal.

That's what I thought. It's on an open transporter. Maybe there is something wrong with the app accessing the server. It now says "Updated 18 minutes ago", but the location is still where it was an hour ago and the transporter is long gone. For now it's the only car on top deck at the very end of the trailer.

Last edited:
Yes, it's set to "Always connected" and the trailer is open. Since the car will have to be moved to the front of the trailer at the next pickup location we'll see if that makes it updated its location. If that's the case, that would mean that a car could be stolen and non-trackable by putting it on a trailer.

Ours was just on a trailer (my wife hit something in the road and damaged two tires) and we saw the same behavior- we could connect to the car, but it said it was at the pick-up point for the duration of the trip. It updated once it arrived at the service center and was driven off the truck.

We have seen the same thing on a ferry too. GPS location must only update while the car is under its own power. Perhaps an energy saving feature.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Ours was just on a trailer (my wife hit something in the road and damaged two tires) and we saw the same behavior- we could connect to the car, but it said it was at the pick-up point for the duration of the trip. It updated once it arrived at the service center and was driven off the truck.

We have seen the same thing on a ferry too. GPS location must only update while the car is under its own power. Perhaps an energy saving feature.

Thanks, good to know. I think most people are not aware of this behavior and assume the car could be tracked on a trailer.

When mine was shipped from Hawaii to here, my car correctly reported its position when it had a cell/GPS signal and was not enclosed in ship/truck. Always connected was not checked, but rarely took more than a minute to connect. When inside a trailer, it couldn’t get a GPS signal unless the trailer door was open. It could get a cell signal. Shipper said normal for cars that can report location when queried. Car did not have to be under power.

I was able to track my car in real time using the Remote S app. My car was shipped across country and I could see it cruising along the interstate. This was in April of 2017, but I doubt the firmware has limited the function. Good luck, you can be too obsessive and check it too much, LOL...

Last edited:
When mine was shipped from Hawaii to here, my car correctly reported its position when it had a cell/GPS signal and was not enclosed in ship/truck. Always connected was not checked, but rarely took more than a minute to connect. When inside a trailer, it couldn’t get a GPS signal unless the trailer door was open. It could get a cell signal. Shipper said normal for cars that can report location when queried. Car did not have to be under power.

Interesting, when was that?

Can sort of track it, interior temperature now shows 19 F. So it does look like the GPS location is only updated if the car is on, while everything else updates normally.
That is what happened with my car when I used the Tesla app. I could get temp, but it kept showing the old location. The "Remote S" App let me real time track the car. Good luck!!