TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tracking charge by location

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by svinter, Jun 30, 2013.

1. svinter

svinter New Member

Jun 30, 2013
    United States
    I'm excitedly embarking on the purchase of a Model S and confronting the problem of wiring in a condo building where I will be parking it, expecting to be the first resident to need to wire for auto recharging. I assume I might have to pay to install a metered line to the parking area, which might cost about $2K. Does that seem like a reasonable estimate? Any suggestions about how I go about doing this (just find any electrician and pay them to do it, or something else)?

When mentioning this to a Tesla product special he said that some people choose to do an unmetered line and just reimburse the condo association for the approximate costs of the electrical recharging. I liked this idea, but it occurs to me that the car ought to be able to tell me precisely how much electrical current is drawn from each of its recharging locations (home, work, charging stations, etc.), so that I could calculate the precise amount of electricity usage at my condo and reimburse the precise amount. Does the Tesla app and the car have the ability to track precise charging amounts by charging location? If not, is this a reason request to ask them to add?

Any other thoughts about how I should most efficiently go about getting the wiring done so that it is both cost effective and anticipates the future wiring needs of other condo residents in my building?

Thanks for your help!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Mar 29, 2009
    Nixa, Missouri, United States
    I think you'll have to do that manually. While the information is probably recorded that way (since it tracks your location history, charger settings, etc.), as far as I know there is currently no means to access that data.

It would not be difficult to do the math to come up with a reasonable estimate of what your usage is though.
  3. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Seattle, Planet Earth
    I would install a meter. Mostly to avoid being at mercy of friendly landlords, and data only I have. What if they start blaming you for a higher increase in the bill? Even if the car doesn't register a charge they could claim the charger is adding a vampire load or something.
    If its too expensive to add another utility meter you can always have the electrician add a meter purchased on the web (e.g EKM's, TED5000 or something of the ilk) and for $200 you avoid all disputes for all EV owners, and can even down the road add a meter by outlet/ row of cars. You could even check your usage from your phone etc
  4. stevej119

stevej119 Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Northern California
    Does anyone know if the ability to track charging by location has changed in the 18 months since this topic was originally posted? I, too, would like to be able to track the amount of electricity used at home vs. work. vs SC's.