Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New color scheme works better for my eye, thank you.

2.4 and 2.5 work on city streets.
I wasn't sure what that actually means.

2.4 Detect and Respond to Stopped Vehicles : I'd think of this as - going around a stopped vehicle. Not sure AP does this on city roads - will it go over the center line, if needed ? We know NOA would move to another lane if there is a stopped vehicle.

2.5 Detect and Respond to Lead Vehicle : Not sure how this is different from "Perform Car Following (Including Stop and Go)".

I wasn't sure what that actually means.

2.4 Detect and Respond to Stopped Vehicles : I'd think of this as - going around a stopped vehicle. Not sure AP does this on city roads - will it go over the center line, if needed ? We know NOA would move to another lane if there is a stopped vehicle.

2.5 Detect and Respond to Lead Vehicle : Not sure how this is different from "Perform Car Following (Including Stop and Go)".

Ah, I read these according to the plain English meaning that if there is a stopped car, AP responds (by stopping, for example). If these are intended to require passing a stopped car I am not aware of that working on city streets yet -- will probably require Nav. on AP for city streets to be activated.

@EVNow Looks like Autopilot is doing better in roundabouts:

Interesting - I'll check it out. I've some very sharp (small) roundabouts near my house that my 3 never handled (but I've not checked in a while ). But the video shows roundabouts that are less sharp, large roundabouts - I'll have to try them first, before trying the smaller ones. It would be really great if 3 can handle roundabouts - since I've a lot of them near my house and now I can't use AP near my house because of this.

BTW, I'd guess this is about lane keeping rather than actually negotiating the round about (looking out for other cars, waiting for them etc).

Interesting - I'll check it out. I've some very sharp (small) roundabouts near my house that my 3 never handled (but I've not checked in a while ). But the video shows roundabouts that are less sharp, large roundabouts - I'll have to try them first, before trying the smaller ones. It would be really great if 3 can handle roundabouts - since I've a lot of them near my house and now I can't use AP near my house because of this.

BTW, I'd guess this is about lane keeping rather than actually negotiating the round about (looking out for other cars, waiting for them etc).

True, it is probably just lane keeping at this point. But if duplicated, it's still a step forward IMO. It would appear that Tesla has greatly improved auto steer in tight turns and path finding.

It's not perfect, but autopilot can now navigate unmarked roads, staying on the right side of the road and allowing oncoming traffic to pass by on the left side of the road:

I tried today on a road that has side marking but no center lane. This didn't work (the car drives in the center of the road). I'll try on completely unmarked roads soon.

Ah, I read these according to the plain English meaning that if there is a stopped car, AP responds (by stopping, for example). If these are intended to require passing a stopped car I am not aware of that working on city streets yet -- will probably require Nav. on AP for city streets to be activated.

Isn't dealling with stopped cars also about the ability to detect a stationary car on the freeway and not just respond to a car its sees stop? I was under the impression that AP ignored completely stationary objects hence the number of accidents that have happened into fire trucks and broken down vehicles not to menton running into barriers in the road.

Isn't dealling with stopped cars also about the ability to detect a stationary car on the freeway and not just respond to a car its sees stop? I was under the impression that AP ignored completely stationary objects hence the number of accidents that have happened into fire trucks and broken down vehicles not to menton running into barriers in the road.

My AP2 car routinely stops for stopped cars. I doubt it is perfect yet but perfection is not required for “feature complete.”

If it completely ignored stationary objects, there'd be a lot more accidents.

If it completely ignored stationary objects, there'd be a lot more accidents.

Found this is the manual so it seems even Tesla don't think they've fully cracked it.

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead"

Just to be sure we're not talking different things, its stationary cars that were stationary before they came into view and not cars that have stopped while in view. I rarely come across that situation and I'd be surprised if many people did. I certainly don't trust it to act on the maybe 1 or 2 occasions over a couple of years when it has happened as for me its usually when travelling on fast roads and coming up behind an incident (like the fire truck scenarios where the cars have crashed).

One big difference between US and Europe, and many other countries, are the location of the traffic light.

- In US the traffic light are located AFTER the intersection, BUT you have to stop BEFORE the intersection.
- In EU, the traffic light are locate AT the intersection, SO you stop just where the traffic light ARE posted.

US Traffic Light .jpg

Also the way to make a left turn might differ:

- In US when turning left, you pass IN FRONT of others cars turning left.
- In EU when turning left, you pass BEHIND others cars turning left.

US Left Turn .jpg

Last edited:
It's not perfect, but autopilot can now navigate unmarked roads, staying on the right side of the road and allowing oncoming traffic to pass by on the left side of the road:

I tried this today on an unmarked long stretch. It kind of works.

NN picks up the center lane based on different shades of asphalt on the road (which usually happens because the road is laid in two parts). The lanes are not stable, as you can imagine. It didn't seem to stop nor go around parked cars to the side (I intervened - so can't be 100% sure on this). There was no oncoming traffic, but I guess it would have handled it fine.

What Tesla needs to do is to recognize it as an unmarked road - so stay on the right side of the road - and handle parked cars and oncoming traffic, all without the imaginary center line.

I tried this today on an unmarked long stretch. It kind of works.

NN picks up the center lane based on different shades of asphalt on the road (which usually happens because the road is laid in two parts).
Oh, that won't work. They lay it in one part around here....

The lanes are not stable, as you can imagine. It didn't seem to stop nor go around parked cars to the side (I intervened - so can't be 100% sure on this). There was no oncoming traffic, but I guess it would have handled it fine.

What Tesla needs to do is to recognize it as an unmarked road - so stay on the right side of the road - and handle parked cars and oncoming traffic, all without the imaginary center line.
Yes.

Tight turns are not the problem, the speed at which you can those turns is the issue. Tesla has to just slow down enough and then can make any kind of turn.
That is totally unrealistic, you need to drive a 80km/hour turn with 50km/hour where everybody drives 120 km/hour, totally unsafe. I've used the autopilot on many occasions, even with pressing the pedal to get a bit faster I don't feel safe because it is too slow.

Somebody made this EU regulation, but he or she is totally disconnected from reality.

Reactions: Christine69420